Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a couple of books from my local library about freshwater aquariums and one had a section of various types of fish. After reading through it, comparing the recommended ph levels and temperatures etc i put a list together of fish I want.

Now for starters, yes I am cycling my tank! I think I am going to add more decor, I want to make a 'shelf' in the back with several rock caves under a layer of gravel. And I want to add live plants, so fish are still some time out.

My tank is a 40 gallon with both a power filter and a canister filter. Is right around 40 fish too much?

My list included; a dwarf gourami, a paradise fish, a bala shark, a weather loach, a kuhli loach, #? clown loaches, #? corydoras, #? upside down catfish, and then schools of lemon and black fin tetras, rasboras, danios and a couple of shrimp.

As far as I read, this will give me a variety of top, middle and bottom swimmers and some nice color variety. Everything I chose fell within a pH of 6.8 - 7.2, which the book said was an acceptable range. Every fish I chose said they did well in a community tank, as long as minimum amounts were followed. Like keeping the schooling fish in groups of at least 5 or more.

Any suggestions? I want the tank to look nice with a nice variety. Do you feel I should leave something out? Too many fish? Have a different fish to replace something? I'd rather know now then wait until its too late!!

Thanks in advance

I got a couple of books from my local library about freshwater aquariums and one had a section of various types of fish. After reading through it, comparing the recommended ph levels and temperatures etc i put a list together of fish I want.

Now for starters, yes I am cycling my tank! I think I am going to add more decor, I want to make a 'shelf' in the back with several rock caves under a layer of gravel. And I want to add live plants, so fish are still some time out.

My tank is a 40 gallon with both a power filter and a canister filter. Is right around 40 fish too much?

My list included; a dwarf gourami, a paradise fish, a bala shark, a weather loach, a kuhli loach, #? clown loaches, #? corydoras, #? upside down catfish, and then schools of lemon and black fin tetras, rasboras, danios and a couple of shrimp.

As far as I read, this will give me a variety of top, middle and bottom swimmers and some nice color variety. Everything I chose fell within a pH of 6.8 - 7.2, which the book said was an acceptable range. Every fish I chose said they did well in a community tank, as long as minimum amounts were followed. Like keeping the schooling fish in groups of at least 5 or more.

Any suggestions? I want the tank to look nice with a nice variety. Do you feel I should leave something out? Too many fish? Have a different fish to replace something? I'd rather know now then wait until its too late!!

Thanks in advance

- Ok first off, did you say you wanted to keep around 40 fish in a 40g tank?
Cause that's EXTREMELY overstocked, even if they were small danio fish.

- Second thing, some fish you chose grow very big. Like Bala Shark and Clown loach. So u need to keep in mind the full size of what fish will grow, when stocking a tank.
U can use this calculator if you like:
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Put in the size of tank, filter, and the fish you want, and it will tell you if the fish are compatible and if they are ok in your size tank and water parameters. (p.s. its a bit over the top, but could help keep your tank, fish, and water very happy and healthy)

- Thirdly, some fish you chose enjoy different temperatures. Some are tropical, some are sub-tropical, and the weather loach thrives in colder water. With this, you can use the aqadvisor calculator for compatibility.

If you decide to come up with a new stocking, feel free to post here, and we can give our opinions to help.

IMO you seem to be a new fish keeper since you asked if you could keep 40 fish in a 40 gallon. Technically, you could if they are all 1inches. Like Sealife said, you have to consider the length of the other fish like the bala shark loach, as well as rasboras because they get big. Lets put it this way, you are in a jail cell with 2 or 3 other people. A jail cell sized room is unfit for one person and you try fitting 2-3 people in that small room. Your fish need its space for comfort. Yes we all would like to cram as many fish into a nice tank but its not recommended nor pleasant knowing your fish arent comfortable. Thats why you see a lot of fish keepers with 2 mid sized fish (6 inches-10inches) in a 55 gallon tank. Its because those fish need their space for a comfortable and healthy life. I was once like you asking "Can I fit 20 fish in my 10 gallon?" People said no and I responded "But they are small and it should be fine". Turns out I was wrong and learned the hard way. So trust me when I say do not put 40 fish in your 40 gallon tank. Remember add 1-3 fish every two weeks and I guarantee you will see no issues with your fish. Put up more tanks if you want 40 fish, but dont put all fish (the ones you listed) in the 40 gallon. The bala shark alone needs 50 gallons. You may do well with a school of corydoras, dwarf gouramis, rasboras and tetras or danios. Goodluck!

So I used the above link for AqAdvisor and plugged some fish in. After tinkering around with it I got to 97% stocking level. Im unsure of how that calculator works but to me that would seem like I'm in the clear right?

So I used the above link for AqAdvisor and plugged some fish in. After tinkering around with it I got to 97% stocking level. Im unsure of how that calculator works but to me that would seem like I'm in the clear right?

Good job reading up on your fish that is allot more than most do. You are good with your selections with the exception of clown loaches and bala shark they will both grow the length of the tank you have and they need to be in schools of about 5 minimum 3.

Everything else you have will do fine together. The shrimp you are talking about I assume are ghost shrimp. They will do ok but cherries or the more ornate smaller shrimp will get eaten.

Weather loach should not have temp higher than 77-78. your other fish can toloreate temps that range but prefer warmer. So it would work but I would forgo the weather loach and get more kuhli's they like larger groups anyways.

Yes ... yes ghost shrimp is what i meant! lol The book had only cherries, but i was going to see what my lfs had and go from there.

Jsut realized you asked for number

Kuhli 3 or more
Cory 5 or more
Tetetras and rasboras 10 or more
Danios 3-5

Oh great thanks. Do you have any suggestions for places online for fish/fish accessories?

For the fish you are looking for I would look for a local fish shop. I hate buying fish online. You pay for shipping and they come in stressed. Tetras and rasboras don't deal well with stress.

Most local fish shops have the types of fish you are looking for. For equipment check craigslist you can come across good deals.

Back
Top Bottom