Wonder Shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone used these in your tank? I did when I had my mystery snail to give him calcium and it did keep the water clear . But now that I just have my betta I am not sure I need it or if will be harmful. It didn't seem to effect my last one but the reviews are so confusing. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In not familiar with Wonder Shell but it looks like a branded source of Calcium Carbonate.

The main reason to add Calcium Carbonate is to buffer the water against pH swings which are, at best, uncomfortable for your livestock and, at worst, lethal.

You can probably buy crushed coral (does the same thing) at your LFS and skip paying shipping.

Hi. If you have the test kit then test Kh and Gh. Adding coral, shells or other buffers is really only needed if your water source is very soft i.e. below 6ppm for either reading. My tap is as good as zero for Kh and Gh and I buffer both up to 6 which gives good Ph stability and enough calcium for my shrimps and snails.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use them. I like them BUT I never use the entire shell. I smash it with a hammer now and just put a small peice in with every water change. I started it for my snails and when I get more dwarf orange crays.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom