Wondering...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do detritus eaters (e.g nassarius) eat poop or uneaten food? Or both?

I have some nassarius snails, not sure what to feed them. No fish in tank, so no uneaten food either. Think they like my turbo snail poop?

Please make future post titles more descriptive. It will increase the number of people that visit your post, and won't annoy people like me as much.

Thank you.

I would feed them about twice a week with a few flakes. They clean up uneaten food. Not so sure about the poop.

I would not worry about "feeding" snails. As long as you feed the fish/corals, they wil get the left overs.

Nassarius are cool because they hide until you feed and then they pop up from the sand.

Bearfan said:
Please make future post titles more descriptive. It will increase the number of people that visit your post, and won't annoy people like me as much.

Thank you.

That was fairly unpleasant no?

His post was not in the "best tone" but he was trying to get across that some people (me for 1) usually skip posts that start like that, or have no meaning as to what they are about. That being said it could have been worded differently.

Now back on topic:
I would not worry about "feeding" snails. As long as you feed the fish/corals, they wil get the left overs.

No fish, see this:
No fish in tank, so no uneaten food either.

I feed my snails, crabs, ETC algae wafers, broke up and tossed in the tank. BUT only if NO fish are present.

Titles... I'm not sure what I think. As I'm not a salty I'm sometimes disapointed when some curiously named topic brings me something I have nothing to say about... but at the same time there's a little bit of fun in the mystery, at least to me. In a way I like oddly named topics... but one very good point about the name of a topic is some people, including a lot of experienced people who want to help, will sometimes just browse over topics like this because of the name. If you post an appropriate title you'll be more likely to get people in here that either want to get info or have info to share. At the same time I could say a curious kind of title might get more people to come in to take a look... and perhaps it could be someone that might have otherwise browsed over it if it had been named better... who knows.
won't annoy people like me as much
I think it's each persons own decision to let something annoy them. Not trying to be rude or anything. I understand the point made
usually skip posts that start like that
but personally don't see it as annoying... then again something that annoy me probably doesn't annoy others...
Anyway, I agree that some algae wafers would work. Depending on what else is in there or how many snails there are I'd experiment with how many you might put in there. You sure don't want too many. Just make sure the food doesn't get fuzzy.. I've only dealt with freshwater snails but snails in general seem to be good eaters so I doubt that would be a problem

Back
Top Bottom