Worm in rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Wonder if you can help, I have just seen a White thin worm extend out of my live rock. It stayed there for a bit then extended up the rock and looked like it grabbed something of the rock then retreated back in.

It was White about 1mm thick. Sorry no pic it was too fast.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Andi.

More then likely a bristle worm...good part of your CUC and are rarely seen, they will typically stay in the sand bed or rock crevices but if you want it gone arrow crabs will eat them

I thought bristle worms were just that worms with bristles…

This was really long when it extended from the rock. The body never left the hole in the rock.

I have some in my tank that I've seen right around 2-3" and I imagine there's bigger ones in there

Does that look similar...they can come in different colors...a picture would be best to ID it but when it comes to saltwater tanks if its questionable just remove it

Mrc8858 said:
Does that look similar...they can come in different colors...a picture would be best to ID it but when it comes to saltwater tanks if its questionable just remove it

Thanks for posting a pic,

No the worm was thin and completely smooth. I will keep an eye on the tank to see if I can get a pic,

Strange isn't it!!

It uses the whole end of it to pull off algae from the rock and eat it. I thought id seen something like this on here before but can't find any thread that resembles this.

This reminds me of a lugworm. Not sure though. One thing is certain- if you are witnessing it eating algae, it's a keeper!

mr_X said:
This reminds me of a lugworm. Not sure though. One thing is certain- if you are witnessing it eating algae, it's a keeper!

Hi X,

Yep definitely a keeper. I'll look up lug worms and have a read

Thanks bud.

Back
Top Bottom