Worm like thing in my rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since all I have to look at in my tank right now is rock, I was studying it. I saw what looked like a white rubberband about 3 inches long sticking out of a hole in one of the pieces of my live rock. It was coming out of a hole and it's "head" appeared to be burrowing into another section of rock. It is light reactive....I got a flashlight and shined on it, when the light hit it, it let go of the rock and snapped like a rubberband back into the hole it was coming out of. The longer the light was on it, the farther it withdrew into the hole.

Any idea what I am dealing with. Do I need to try to remove it?? Do I need to do a FW dip on that section of rock??

Here is a picture of it

worm.jpg

TIA

Wes

Since no one else has jumped on this I'll try . . . but don't trust me too much. :) It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I think it might be a tube worm (mini-feather duster)--I wouldn't think that from your description but the pic kinda looks like it. They have little feathery heads of various colors (mine are red) that poke in and out of a white or brownish tube.

http://www.ci.edmonds.wa.us/Discovery_Programs Website/Worms.html

Does that look at all like it?

I forget the name at the moment, maybe someone can help, but it is a common hitch hiker, and also a detrivore which is good. It may be a peanut worm but I don't think so it's something similar though(definetly not a feather duster, sorry blorkiemom). They are a good thimg to have. HTH

Hard to tell from the pic, he kind of blends in. The size and shape don't look like a peanut worm, and it looks too thick to be spaghetti. But with it being rooted in a hole, it sounds like a spagetti worm. Definately not a tube worm, they are waaaaaay slow if they don't have a tube, barely mobile at all. He's *probably* ok and is likely to be a good thing to have. Odds are he won't move from his hole except to pull food in, but it won't hurt to keep an eye on him.

Off topic, but how's the tank blorkiemom? Really off topic, but is your kid really named blorkie?

Indy, her name is Gabby. :) But before we knew her gender, my husband and I jokingly came up with the "gender-neutral" Blork . . . it stuck as a nickname after she was born. Although she did introduce herself (she's 3) to another girl as "Blorkie" a few weeks ago, so we have to have a little talk about family nicknames vs. real names!

Back
Top Bottom