Worms, help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I've noticed for awhile that both my female guppies had these little red threads moving in and out of their vent (errm anal opening?) at first I thought it was just normal before they pooed but then I noticed that they moved. I did lots of research and they seem to be Callamanus worms for sure! So I'm really worried, so far the females have been very active like usual and my tank is cycled. My male dosent appear to have them!
So because the thoughts of worms scare me so much can someone PLEASE answer these questions so I can sleep at night!
- Under what circumstances do they live? (Like do I over feed or something?)
- What do they do to my fish?
-Is there any way I can kill them without using the medication?

Thanks soo much, I'm extremely worried!! I do 25% water changes a week (sometimes I'll do a 10% change again just In case) and my tank is well planted with java moss and amazon sword.

Hi! Unfortunately from what I've read the only way to get rid of them is with medicine. They will eventually kill the fish. It is best to put them in a hospital tank to medicate as soon as possible.

Hi! Unfortunately from what I've read the only way to get rid of them is with medicine. They will eventually kill the fish. It is best to put them in a hospital tank to medicate as soon as possible.

Okay thanks so much! What do they do to the fish (like to they attack the reproductive organs?)

Awwh darn! I just looked at the stores near my house and none of them carry medication for the worms! So why are they appearing? (Like was I over feeding or something?)

No they are a parasite they probably already had it when you got them.

If the stores don't carry it you can purchase it online. It's decently priced.

Awwh darn, yeah I've been trying to get in touch with the stores! Are there any symptoms? The guppies seem really healthy and active other than seeing the little worms! And this is another stupid question, but do they prevent the guppies from having fry? My females have been having really unsuccessful pregnancies so maybe that's it?

I'm not sure if it would affect pregnancy or not but I would imagine it would since parasites take up most nutrients the host takes in

Hey, so I've been calling all my aquarium places for the treatments but none carry it. So I settled for API General cure because it cures most internal parasites including tapeworms, do you guys think it'll work?

Hey, so I've been calling all my aquarium places for the treatments but none carry it. So I settled for API General cure because it cures most internal parasites including tapeworms, do you guys think it'll work?

Have you tried to contact a local vets office ? Let them know what your dealing with and I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate. I believe Praziquental is vet only but if they won't allow that, they may offer Levamisole. Let them know it's for aquarium use and ask for dosing instructions. You will need enough to carry you thru the treatment and will want enough to have on standby. You'll have to do water changes, preferably at least daily and need to redose to keep the volume consistent. I don't know what, if any effect it will have with plants if you have them in your tank.

Thanks!! That has really helped a ton!! So I gave the medication 4 hours ago and there is already a white discharge, is that a good or bad sign?

Back
Top Bottom