wormy things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
looking at my 80g today, my bf and i saw multiple wormy things...i think lol
i thought it was poop at first but then they started wriggling around...and then one of my guppies at them lol. no idea what it is.

these things are like less than half a cm, white and they are only around my val in the one corner of my tank. would try to get a pic but they are way to small to capture a pic of.

anyone have an ideas what these are?

Most likely planaria, and you can leave them as they are harmless, or you can do a good vac every day for a week. They happen because of dirty water and overfeeding. I had to deal with them in my betta tank too since I didn't like the look of them.

after researching more i found a couple pics that look like the worms in the tank i saw this on my val i thought they were snail eggs...the only thing is it was more yellowish...so this would be planaria
planaria-composite-2.jpg

but then there are also these ones which actually "squiggle" threw the water in an 's' shape motion, but as soon as i fed the fish, they disappeared
planaria.jpg

but i got confused with what kind this is, i found pictures that are exactly the same on different sites, some say its planaria and some are saying it nematodes. can anyone confirm if its planaria or something else?

I agree with dk & lm. Better vacuums, more frequent water changes, and controlled feeding will eliminate them. I'm not sure that an exact ID is truly important.

Those bottom ones look more like Nematodes. That is what I am pretty sure I had. I first saw them in my 5 gallon when it was a snail tank, because I kind of ignored that tank lol. I just threw some snails in and let it go. Nothing kills the stupid things anyways.... lol. But yeah just do bigger PWCs , or maybe more frequently for a little while. Do you have good surface agitation in your tank? Like an air stone or good filter flow?

i have two filters going 1 marine land emperor 400 and an aquaclear 3000...its says 3000 ontop, but i think its classified as a 50 when i buy replacement sponges for it. and an air pump for a 60 gal tank...the fish dont like that many bubbles in the tank. i do have another air pump for a 30gal i just havent set up yet. dont know what to do with it. but i have a bubble curtain going around the drift wood. which creates lots of movement at the surface

Last edited:
So it isn't lack of oxygen then lol. I personally didn't want to do air in the 29, I wanted to try a more natural look, but after all those annoying things I just turned it on. Yeah I would say just try to do bigger, more frequent water changes for a little while. Mine pretty much went away after one huge water change, so they shouldn't stick around for long!

we def do good vacs, we stick the vac in the sand and lift it up before the sand goes up the vac. and i poke chop sticks in the sand to stir it up every other day. i do think i might have to do a new landscaping. but i think our dragon might get mad. we def dont have a problem with moving the sand around, we've nicknamed Puff (dragon goby) Digger lol. He's landscaped everywhere building pyramids all over the tank. and he's dug himself a trench behind the drift wood lol

Lol! Puff the Magic Dragon... goby! That is awesome. I want one of those one day, that is cool that he builds stuff in the sand as well! I hate having PFS, it is so hard to clean for me. The debris never gets sucked up it seems like it's heavier than the sand

Me too!!! My snail knocks everything over in my 20, so I have to put things back pretty much every day, and my loaches like to uproot the plants.

Back
Top Bottom