Worried I might be overstocked, help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emily1123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so let me start out by explaining my tank. I have a 12 gallon planted tank (cycled before I added fish) with 5 zebra danios, 3 oto catfish, 1 betta fish, 1 banjo catfish, 1 bamboo shrimp and about 10 ghost shrimp. I started with just the betta fish but I slowly ended up adding more and more. What I am really concerned about is the banjo catfish. The guy at my local pet store told me he would be perfect for my tank so it was kind of an impulse buy. I started researching him and found out that he is going to get to be 6 inches! I also read that he might start eating my shrimp and my other fish! I have had him for about a week and have not lost any fish or shrimp but the banjo cat is still pretty small (maybe 2 inches). I actually have barely seen him since I put him in (the guy at the store said this would be normal) but I kind of want to take him out! The problem with this is that I don't know how to find him and my tank opening is quite small (fluval edge 12 gallon if anyone is familiar). So, is my tank overstocked? How can I get this catfish out of my tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a banjo I have had it for several months just like you I have barely even seen him when I do I usually mistake him for dead lol! Mines the same size he was when I got him so they must grow real slowly, and I haven't seen any aggression with him

Also banjo cats ARE NOT predatory. That's not to say if he comes across something smaller than its mouth he might not go after it, honestly this is normal of most fish, but they DO NOT actively seek out other fish as prey. I don't ever see your danios in danger regardless of how big he gets cuz danios move WAY too fast your shrimp MIGHT be an issue depending on how big they are .

Aw that's pretty cute! Since he hasn't been aggressive thus far I'm not really worried about him attacking any of my fish as much as I'm worried about him growing to be too big for the tank. My water conditions are still perfect I just feel like I might have accidentally put too many fish in. For what it's worth, the betta, danios, shrimp, and otos are very active and have hearty appetites.

Well that is good to hear! I think the shrimp are too big to fit in his mouth, as of now at least. Do you think there are too many fish in my tank?

I am not really an expert on "overstocking" I am sure a lot if people would say yes , but as long as you test your water frequently and do plenty of water changes you should be ok

I am sorry to say that the banjo catfish is not "perfect for your tank." It grows up to 6 inches, requiring a 29+ gallon tank. Also, Zebra Danios are very active, requiring a 20 gallon long tank. DO NOT the banjo cat out with your hand, it is bad to touch smaller fish. Use a fish net.

I was not going to use my hand to remove it, I have a fish net. I just don't know how to find it and I don't want to uproot my plants in the process...

Well, those things hide so well you may have no choice but to uproot some of your plants.......I literally tore apart half my tank looking for a shrimp once......I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

It seems fine to me. But once the cat gets bigger an upgrade will be needed.

That makes me feel way better.

If they are fine for now, I will wait until I see the catfish swimming about before I try to catch him. Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom