Worst untrue aquarium myth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've... never heard of that, let alone heard of it as a myth. Care to elaborate?

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the earlier days of the hobby when most hobbyists had to collect their own food one of the first foods commercially available was dried and pupas, marketed as a great source of protein. In reality they were basically just dry husks with no nutritional value. They have kinda stuck in the hobby as a treat as fish love them but they really have no nutritional value besides a bit of salt. Tried to make it elaborate.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

In the earlier days of the hobby when most hobbyists had to collect their own food one of the first foods commercially available was dried and pupas, marketed as a great source of protein. In reality they were basically just dry husks with no nutritional value. They have kinda stuck in the hobby as a treat as fish love them but they really have no nutritional value besides a bit of salt. Tried to make it elaborate.

In general insects have very low nutritional value without the variety offered in the wild. Why almost all live foods need to be "gut loaded" or supplemented with a flake or pellet in addition too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

But who cares if the spores are there, what causes the GROWTH is more important imo. Some spores being present in all water, and a tank with rocks full of GHA are 2 different things Andy, and the second is only going to be caused by excess nutrients, and you know this.

Once again, maybe I'm getting too technical here :brows: ( I'm fighting for ya Sk3 :brows: ) The spore is the algae. If the spores are not already present, the algae we see will not grow due to nutrients and lights and water. The comment was that the nutrients cause the algae and they still don't. They feed the algae to make it visible to the naked eye but it was already there, wasn't it?
It's like if a kid walks down the street and sees a dog and the dog bites him/her, did the kid create the dog? No, the dog was already there. If the dog wasn't there already, the kid would not have been bitten. Just like the nutrients, they don't cause the algae. It's already there, just not in a form you can see. ( Tricky, eh? :lol: It's the technicality of the comment.:brows:)

So let's put this to rest until we get a language expert in here to arbitrate. Okay? ;)(y)

Once again, maybe I'm getting too technical here :brows: ( I'm fighting for ya Sk3 :brows: ) The spore is the algae. If the spores are not already present, the algae we see will not grow due to comment if you spot this and lights and water. The comment was that the nutrients cause the algae and they still don't. They feed the algae to make it visible to the naked eye but it was already there, wasn't it?

It's like if a kid walks down the street and sees a dog and the dog bites him/her, did the kid create the dog? No, the dog was already there. If the dog wasn't there already, the kid would not have been bitten. Just like the nutrients, they don't cause the algae. It's already there, just not in a form you can see. ( Tricky, eh? :lol: It's the technicality of the comment.:brows:)

So let's put this to rest until we get a language expert in here to arbitrate. Okay? ;)(y)

True!

Andy..... where you been mister;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once again, maybe I'm getting too technical here :brows: ( I'm fighting for ya Sk3 :brows: ) The spore is the algae. If the spores are not already present, the algae we see will not grow due to nutrients and lights and water. The comment was that the nutrients cause the algae and they still don't. They feed the algae to make it visible to the naked eye but it was already there, wasn't it?

LOL Agreed. I'm happy to see that for once the whole algae debate happened in a way that really brought out all the aspects of the problem in a polite and useful way. I think the question should be "What factors contribute to algae" from now on instead of "What causes Algae" Which technically...Is the spores :D 10 Points for gryffindor.

Freshwater by making sure the lighting level is in balance with co2 and nutrients

This is the perfect sentence IMO. Algae seems to struggle to take hold in aquarium with rampant and healthy plants growth. Why this is exactly is a question that has been under debate for many years with scientists with no definitive answer. There are many hypothesis though.

Lol one time a "Fish" category came up on Jeopardy and I rocked it.

The worst aquarium myth of all:"I just want one fish tank "

The worst aquarium myth of all:"I just want one fish tank "

Haha... Only down to 2... Plus a pond not sure if that counts lol.

When i hear My fish is perfectly happy in that tank......... Camera pans to an oscar in a 20g. ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If people would have followed the 1 inch per gallon rule correctly it would have worked ,
Example : I have a 55g tank so I can buy 55 1 inch fish . (Wrong)
The biggest thing they failed to do is find out how big they get full grown,
they didn't know they grew 8 to 12 inches , so they whined up with a oversize sardine can.

yes the 1 inch per gallon was a old method for stocking , the biggest reason it failed was everyone was misinformed , if only 1 person would have swallowed there pride and read the correct formula than passed it along things could have been different ,
if only 1 person explained how the 1 inch rule really worked as I'm doing now a lot of fish could have been saved ,

Now this is how the formula was supposed to be,
every fish you buy you are to know how big they get full grown,
this helps figure the max fish capacity
not just add 55 fish cause the fish you chose were 1 inch each and your tank is 55g,
its not 1 inch per gallon per fish at purchase .
no one ever knew how the 1 gallon rule worked ,

these rules were the best they had back than , just not followed correctly,

now we do things much differently but the one thing that is still the same is no one reads the fine print so things go as smooth as possible ,
Not all fish stocking now is a gallon per fish it depends on the type of fish along with how active and full size size

Last edited:
The myth that bothers me the most is: Bettas live in Buffalo hoofprints, can't have any tank mates ever, and can live in a tiny fishbowl.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom