Would a shrimp try to leave the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshEH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As a birthday gift I got a friend a couple of shrimp for one of his tank. Well we had them here for a few days but one day one of them was dead so we went and had it replaced and we moved the shrimp to a tank where we thought they would do better. The trouble is though when I woke up and went over to look at the fish tank to see how the shrimp are doing I didn't see the new shrimp in there, I didn't see it anywhere! They're wood shrimp so they aren't hard to miss and they are fully grown I think. Would it be possible that the one crawled out of the tank? They seemed to like to hang out on this filter thing that is in the tank, I'm not sure what it is to tell you the truth, but it's the perfect platform for any wouldbe escapee shrimp. I spent like a hour just looking at the tank trying to find it and even took the net to make sure he wasn't behind anything or under anything, but no shrimp to be seen. The fish in that tank aren't big enough to hassle them, neither do I think they would anyway, even in the other tank we first put them in those fish were about the size of a mans hand and they didn't hassle the shrimp. I looked behind the tanks (it's a set of 3 tanks in a custom cabinet) but I didn't see anything and I couldn't get back to check everything or behind the bottom tank, I didn't want to mess with it to much because well it's not my tank and stuff, it's my friends tank, but he's off at work now so I can't tell him about it. This really bums me out so much. :(

Yep. I lost my first wood shrimp (aka Bamboo) shrimp when he attempted accelerated evolution. I found him on the rug about 5 feet from the tank one morning...If there are any space large enough for one to fit thru, and you still haven't found him, check the floor around the room, including behind furniture n stuff.

Thanks for the reply. How long can a shrimp live outside of the tank? I still can't find it, but then I can't look right behind the bottom fish tank either or behind the fish tank that the shrimp were in because of the way it was built, so it may be back there, but I'll have to wait for the owner to come home to tell him about it. Hmm I wonder if the guy at the petstore will take it back and let me trade it for just a normal ol fish insted of another shrimp...

Got any advice on how to keep any future shrimp/crabs and such related things from escaping??

the LFS will not trade fish that did not die of natural causes.

If your having a problem with something like ashrimp escaping, then crabs are DEFINATLY off the list. They also need access to be above water to be able to breath.

Mine was alive when I found it; it died later in the day. I'm guessing bamboo shrimp can live as long as they are still wet; once they dry out its too late. Unfortunately William is right; its pretty unlikely the lfs would take it back.

To keep inverts like shrimp and crabs from leaving the tank, it must be well covered. Not sure how to block the opening above the filter without blocking it as well tho; maybe some of the other folks have a suggestion.

What's the LFS???

It died of natural causes, it crawled out of it's water and died.... Not that I know if it is dead yet, but I assume it probably may be.

Heh, put your cursor over the red letters and it will tell you what each abbreviation is *grin*

And you can argue that point with your lfs. William and I are just letting you know that its not "natural causes" if the shrimp is able to escape from a tank; thats comparible to falling out a window or drowning. The stores expect folks to know what their pets are capable of and act accordingly. You will have to take it up with the folks you purchased it from; they may cut you a break.

I could probably get it replaced, but I'm not going to worry about it or try to push my luck! Oh well, poor shrimp, we did find it finally. Well a sad story has come to an end, but we still have our other shrimp. Thank you for the info.

Well my bamboo(wood) shrimp climes out of my tank to get ontop of the filter atleast once a week. I guess he just likes to take a little break from the water. lol

Sad about the shimp but this has got to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read. This site should start a funny fish stories forum

Back
Top Bottom