Would Flourish Root Tabs help my Glosso?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am just not having any luck with my Glosso. I love how it looks in aqua foregrounds and would like to achieve something similiar without having to completely replace my substrate.... Some quick info:

- Medium gravel substrate mixed 50/50 with flourite. Gravel size around 5mm. Upto 5" deep in the back corners, 3" everywhere else
- 216 watts of T5 HO, about 24" above gravel in a 72 gal bowfront, 10.5 hours at full force, with .75 hour sunrise/set for a total of about 12hrs per day
- Adapting to the EI dosing philosophy

Is my lighting adequate? I have just stuck some flourish tabs underneath the glosso to see if that helps any... Has anyone else got this stuff to grow in substrate like mine?

The gravel is a bit on the large size, but with the Flourite mixed in is probably okay.

What problems are you having with it? Is it growing up instead of spreading? Not growing at all? Turning off colors, getting holes, disintegrating, or other signs of deficiency?

Also, how long ago did you add it to the tank? Could be that it's still adjusting to your tank if it's fairly new, or could have even been emersed growth that's reverting back to submersed growth.

got three bunches from aquariumplants.com about 1.5 weeks ago. I had one bunch prior to that that fell apart afer about 3 weeks (still have sime small pieces floating around on the top of the tank.

Though a very few pieces seem to be growing up toward the light, most is just not doing anything or starting to turn slightly yellowish/green. Kind of like it is in a state of paralysis... I wish I had a camera that could capture it accurately...

http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/DSC06296.JPG <-- big file
http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/DSC06297.JPG <-- big file

It certainly doesn't look doomed, yet, but it doesn't really look happy either.

Maybe the flourish tabs will help enrich the substrate for them a bit...

First thing I would recommend is separating into individual plants and spreading them over the area that you want to carpet. This will give them room to spread instead of forcing it to grow up for lack of room. I suspect that your light is on the low side for glosso, but that with proper planting it should have a chance. Might want to up your trace dosing as well.

definatly to close together. i just got some aswell and u really need to take the time and plant them all individually. every single litle plant of 2 leaves needs to be planted individually around the area u ant it to grow in and then it will take off. i guarentee if all the ferts are right in your tank then it will go nuts. i just planted my foreground with it a week ago and it is already spreading and my ferts are wayy of balance to lol. here it is s u can see what i mean. it took me 45 min and very shrivelled hands to get all mine seperted and planted lol.
img_714507_0_2ffdb67454e2ba89f996df20e794ca73.jpg

Back
Top Bottom