Would these fish get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello there... I'm just about to add some more fish to my tank and I'm looking for some guidance on whether or not these types of fish get along...

In the tank just now is a single neon tetra (don't ask) and a common plecostomus (currently about 6-7 inches long)...

I saw for the first time in the LFS the other day under the tropical tank section a "puffer" or some sort... and I thought these were purely for salt water tanks. It wasn't quite as puffy and I'm not sure if it was a "dwarf" or not (can't remember the name) but it looked like a nice fish and according to the "green" code on their chart it was friendly with other fish? Anyone have any info on these - it may have been spotted. Would they get along with the fish I have at the moment and what conditions do they like?

I'm also curious about the Angel Fish... any info on them with these tank mates also please...?

I'm also on the hunt for common fish species which would like to browse near the top of the tank as I have always had fish that like to lurk near the bottom or lower portion of the tank. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. The tank has been fully cycled (fishless cycle) for over 2 years and is 27gallons.

short answer for the puffer.... no. puffers like to creep around at night and eat the tails of other fish. an angel... yes. a sincle angle would be a nice addition to that tank. u may also want to consider a new pleco. if u get rid of him u will have a much lighter bioload on that tank and can stock more heavily. if u get a small angle(very small) and put him in with 6 or 7 more neans he should grow up with them and not worry about eating them(mine didnt since he was with thim since a baby) plus this will force the neons to school more closly. i dont really have a suggestion for the top water fish. i hope that helps.

I wouldn't trust an angel with neons. Neons are the natural prey of angelfish in the wild. They grow up around them too and that doesn't stop them from eating them ;) You may get lucky...angels can be lazy and just eat the food provided...but they ARE predatory fish and would never hesitate to eat a neon if it were hungry.

And while your tank may be cycled...its cycled for the very low bioload you have on it now. Expect a small spike as you add fish I'd guess ;)

A friend of mine got a green spotted puffer...not knowing any better...for her community tank...he was about an inch and a half long and promptly ate two of her larger black skirt tetras. I wound up with him...treated him for ich and messed up fins and donated him to a better suited LFS that deals in puffers. All puffers are pretty much species only fish...dwarf are supposedly fine with the oto cats. And all puffers are messy and eat live foods....bloodworms, snails, shrimp, etc. (I did lots of research)

Thanks for the info folks...

I decided against the Angel Fish and the Puffer... however I did pick up 2 Marble Mollies as I love Mollies.

I really really really want to get 3 Clown Loach but I keep hearing differing opinions on tank sizes etc. Surely my 27-30 gallon tank would be enough for just 3? And how would they get on with my Plecostomus?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom