Would this be ok in my Tank.....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thutton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am wondering if there is any problem with putting a shell that was found on the beach in my tank..

there is no varnish or anything like that it is just a large shell...

is it ok?

It should be alright, provided you clean it very well (boiling is the preferred method, I believe) and keep in mind that a shell, since it contains calcium that will over time leech into the water, can slightly raise your pH. Unless you already have a high pH, or have pH sensitive fish, though, that shouldn't matter too much.

Depends on the tank. If you already have high ph around 8.0, you should be ok. But if you have a low ph, closer to 7.0, then no, I wouldn't. The shell would probably increase your ph to 7.8 or higher within 2-4 weeks. It will also increase your kh, which is why your ph will increase.

What size is the tank, and how big is the shell? A small shell in a big tank may be ok; but generally, I wouldn't put any saltwater item in a freshwater tank since it can change your parameters as suggested. A possible exception would be a cichlid tank, since it should have a higher pH already. Watch your parameters closely.

Back
Top Bottom