Wow.. Fishless Cycling Success

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
On July 9 I started a new 20 gal. freshwater tank using fishless cycling. Of course all the instructions came from AA. I used Tips and Tricks and Fishless Cycling for Dummies. Why I used both I don't know but they did coincide with each other.

Fortunately, I had a ten gal tank going and was able to use some of the cycled gravel and a stone decoration that I placed in the new tank. Lots of goodies I'm sure. Believe it or not on July 14th I started to see the increase in nitrite and shortly thereafter its decrease and the increase of nitrate. And then ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0.

Three days ago I switched two glo fish from my 10gal to the new tank along with two cory. All parameters held tight and then I got four very small neons and added them to the tank. Now, four days later, I check all parameters twice daily to be sure, all is well or should I say great.

I want to thank those at AA for this great experience and I suggest everyone use this method. If you follow the instructions to a "T" I don't see how you can fail. Thanks again.

congratz, so whats your stocking options =]

i also just finished with my cycle about 3-4 days ago, but cant add any fish due to the weather =[

1 betta as the star of the tank
1 clown pleco at first, when i get my AC50 around october, ill add another dwarf pleco

if i plan on doing live plants around november, ill probably add 1 schooling fish that can co-exist with a betta

but i am set on the betta/plecos ^_^

Sounds great. I don't know who my star of the tank will be, but it's sure exciting planning for the fishes. I think if there is reincarnation I'll come back as a professional tank cycler and planner. What do you think? Nuts?

white clouds and neons are nice =] thought about cherry barbs? they are nice little fellas and also zebra danios, my exs brother has aboout 12-14 or maybe more zebra danios in his 40g breeder, they look real nice in a large school

Crepe: I haven't seen a white cloud up close but they look beautiful on line and in books. Next week I'll see my LFS again. When I was there thursday, it was obvious someone had cleaned her out of guppies and other small fish. She does a great business and is so very knowledgeable. I depend on her. Honest too! I'm hoping she'll be restocked Monday, when her shipments come in. I'll see what she has on thursday or friday after the fish have been there a few days.

no i have no experience with any fish except bettas and zebra danios, and thats only when i hang with the misses at their place, or when i go fishing with her father

but you can add a dwarf gourami into your 20g, just not more than one i think

Back
Top Bottom