Xferring fish to new home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
How should I move my fish from their current 29 gal home to their new, spacious 75 gal mansion? I don't think I need to acclimate them to the new tank water if they're roughly the same temperature do I? If I do, I don't have any fish store bags. I do have some single gal size bags... (of the Ziploc variety). Would it just be ok to just net them and move them directly over? If not, would using the Ziploc's for acclimation be ok?

Yes, they need to be acclimated since the water chemistry is different. Just like you do bringing them home from the lfs. Do you have any tubs that you use for fish only? Or buckets?

The 75 is already cycled, correct?

Yes, I have "fish only" buckets.

I'm going to check water params tonight but I believe it should be cycled. I have several decorations and artificial plants and a filter media bag full of gravel from the old tank in there.

I can't move them over tonight anyway as I can't seem to find my fish net anywhere! I have one on the way with a shipment that should be here in the next day or two. It'll be bigger anyway...

Thats great that the tank is cycled. Just had to double check. :)

Clean a fish only bucket with hot water (no soap). Then just transfer the fish and some water from the 29 gal tank and acclimate that way. No bags necessary.

Transfer fish and water from the 29 gal tank to a clean bucket and nothing else? It has to have water from the new tank in it as well, correct? If not, how does this acclimate the fish to the new tank water?

I think you misread my post. After the fish are in the bucket, then you acclimate just like you do fish that you bring home from the lfs.

If spyyro usually acclimates his fish by floating them in their new tank, there might be some confusion, I'm guessing? Was wondering from the baggie references....

Fishyfanatic, are you saying put fish + old water in bucket, then every so often (or continually with a drip) add a little new water until the volume has doubled, then net out the fish and put them in their new home?

jinmon said:
Fishyfanatic, are you saying put fish + old water in bucket, then every so often (or continually with a drip) add a little new water until the volume has doubled, then net out the fish and put them in their new home?

Yep Yep, just put the fish in the bucket in old tank water, then slowly add new tank water to the bucket. I usually acclimate this way for 30mins to an hour.

Heh... ok yea, it makes sense now. jinmon was right, I usually acclimate my new fish by just placing the bag w/ the fish in it inside the new tank for 30-60 mins and then release. I understand the method you are describing and will use that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom