yellow labs and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thebluyak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just started the DIY CO2 and everything is going good, my PH was 7.2 before I started the co2 and now its down to 6.6. My fish dont seem bothered by the decrease in ph but im worried about the long run. Will the lower PH affect my 2 labs and zebra cichlid?

36 bow planted

Do you know your KH or CO2 level?

Stability is more important than a set level. As long as your CO2 is not way above 30 ppm, you should be clear.

no im not postive of my CO2 level, its a diy 2 liter bottle so I dont think it is producing enough CO2 to get above 30 PPM, my plants arnt pearling so im assuming its still relatively low.

I'm not sure why you've got plants and CO2 with yellow labs and zebras? Both species like to sift through the substrate; I'm surprised they've not completely uprooted everything in the tank already.

IMO, Africans aren't the best suited for planted aquariums.

Travis manages it very nicely. Just because something is hard doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=83792

Pearling can be retarded by nutrient defficiencies as well as CO2 defficiencies. I suggest you pick up a KH kit, between that and your pH, you can calculate the CO2 level. If your CO2 is fine, you could raise your KH to stabilize your pH. If your CO2 is too high, you could modify your DIY recipie to produce less.

yeah I know i need to get a KH test but havnt had a chance yet, actually my africans dont bother my plants at all, ive had no problems with plants being destroyed or anything, i also have open ground area for them to play in the substrate if they feel the need but mainly its just the male chasing around the female trying to get her into his cave.

****alright acording to Tongs KH calculater and chuck gadds CO2 calculater ive got a KH of around 1.58, final PH of 6.4 which gives me a CO2 of 17.9, give or take a few PPM's

You might be able to get a rough estimate of your KH from the city/county water authority website.

Back
Top Bottom