Yet another Fishless Cycle problem thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xawen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been reading here for a few weeks, but haven't had a need to post until now. I've got a new tank with a stalled cycle and I'm hoping one of you guys might point out where I'm going wrong.

Tank is a 54 gallon corner with a Fluval 305 filter. I have three airstones going and lots of surface agitation. Temperature has been held at 84 since I started my "cycle".

I'm on day 17 of my supposed cycle and nothing has happened so far. Starting to reach the end of my patience. :)

I set the tank up, rinsed everything a few times (no soap), filled the tank and added API Stress Coat to dechlorinate. I let the tank sit for a day to get to a stable temp and then dosed it up to 4ppm ammo with Ace brand ammonia (the Janitorial grade stuff that everyone likes).

Since then, the levels haven't changed at all. I've seen people say they've had it take two weeks for the nitrites to start to show up, but I haven't seen any movement in the levels so far.

Readings every day are (API Freshwater Master Kit):
PH: 7.9
Ammo: 4 ppm (green might be getting a little lighter, but that's probably wishful on my part)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

I did do a kH test early on and I remember the results being pretty soft, but I don't remember the exact number (I can run it again tonight if it'll help).

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

Not even a budge in ammonia after 17 days? That's extremely odd, and I can't see where you may have gone wrong.

Hi Xawen,

I'm new as well and cycling a 75g currently. I'm sure you've read Eco's guide, I think all newcomers should be required :)

I do have one bit of advice. Go to your LFS and beg, buy, steal, a sponge from them! *laughing*. Also, buy some potted plants, plant them in the tank and leave the pots and potting material in a tupperware bowl in the tank.

My LFS gave me the sponge from their potted tank and I bought 3 potted plants from them. Today is my 2 week mark into my cycle, I'm converting 4.0 ammonia in 24 hours, my nitrites are at 5.0+ and my nitrates hit the 40+ mark yesterday and are now at 80+. I'm hopefully a few days away from being cycled.

It sounds like you're using the right ammonia (make sure you shake it and there is no foam, just a few bubbles), have the right temp, etc.

From my experience, which again is very limited, I can't recommend getting seeding material enough. It's been 2 weeks to date and I'm almost done cycling my 75g.

Hope this helps and that you can get a sponge! :)

Mog

I second that advice. Seed material is very important. However, I didn't use it on my last cycle and it still went along. In my opinion it's weird that your ammonia hasn't been consumed even a little after 17 days.

+1 on seed material. I read your post and before I read any replies that's the only thing I thought it could be. If it was me, I would try to get it somewhere else before I got it from an LFS, but anything should work.

Yeah, I knew I was in for a wait with no seed material. The LFS isn't particularly friendly and I've been asking anyone I can think of trying to find someone who can donate some gravel or filter media to the cause. I *might* be able to get my hands on some this weekend, but we'll see. If not I may try the potted plant route, I just got my new lights that should allow for some low-med light plants.

One other thing I can think of might be a factor (let me know what you guys think). My tank cover is very tight fitting. The only openings are the squares I cut to allow the 2 heaters, in/out tubing for the filter and air hoses. The air pump should be enough to bring oxygen into the system, but is it possible everything is fitting together too tightly for airborne bacteria to find it's way into the tank? Unfortunately I have an overly acrobatic cat that makes leaving the cover open impossible...

Triple check your bottle of ammo. The vast majority of people I see who don't get nitrItes, end up seeing on their bottle that it contains other ingredients in tiny print.

eco23 said:
Triple check your bottle of ammo. The vast majority of people I see who don't get nitrItes, end up seeing on their bottle that it contains other ingredients in tiny print.

I saw it's the Ace brand, I'm just not sure they don't make another variant that may have surfactants.

I saw it's the Ace brand, I'm just not sure they don't make another variant that may have surfactants.

I will definitely check again when I get home, but it's Ace brand Janitorial Strength. I did the shake test when I bought it and there's no foaming and there's no smell other than ammonia, so I'm pretty sure it's the right stuff.

P.S. Thanks for your guide, it's what got me started on what will hopefully be a much less stressful way to get a tank going.

Hardness / softness shouldn't effect the cycle other than possible pH fluctuations. If you saw in the guide, I usually think bacteria in a bottle products are useless, but a buddy of mine swears that when he added stress zyme and pH down his cycle took off. If you can pick up a bottled bacteria product from the lfs, give it a try...it won't hurt anything.

And seeding material if fantastic and is guaranteed to get things moving, but not vital. My friend I just mentioned cycled his tank in the same time frame as me (20 days) and he didn't have established media. Just the stress zyme. It's nearly impossible to find...but there's a product called Bio-spira which is actually helpful, you can call around to see if anyone carries it, but it has a very short shelf life.

Hardness / softness shouldn't effect the cycle other than possible pH fluctuations. If you saw in the guide, I usually think bacteria in a bottle products are useless, but a buddy of mine swears that when he added stress zyme and pH down his cycle took off. If you can pick up a bottled bacteria product from the lfs, give it a try...it won't hurt anything.

Well...assuming there's nothing else wrong with my setup I should be a prime case study for the whole Stress Zyme argument ;)

I pass a Petsmart on the way home that should have it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

And seeding material if fantastic and is guaranteed to get things moving, but not vital. My friend I just mentioned cycled his tank in the same time frame as me (20 days) and he didn't have established media. Just the stress zyme. It's nearly impossible to find...but there's a product called Bio-spira which is actually helpful, you can call around to see if anyone carries it, but it has a very short shelf life.

I've heard great things about bio-spira, but I know it has to have always been kept cold. From what I know there's no way to tell if an individual package is still viable.

Since it'd be much harder to get the bio-spira and it could still be hit or miss, I'll give the Stress Zyme a shot...

xawen said:
I've heard great things about bio-spira, but I know it has to have always been kept cold. From what I know there's no way to tell if an individual package is still viable.

Since it'd be much harder to get the bio-spira and it could still be hit or miss, I'll give the Stress Zyme a shot...

I've also heard good things about a product called TLC Start Smart. Again, I wouldn't hold my breath with any of these things, but none of them are gonna hurt. Let us know how it works out.

And yeah, it'll be very interesting to see if the stress zyme kicks things into gear.

I double checked the ammonia and it's the Ace Janitorial Strength stuff. I found a picture of the bottle on another forum and mine looks the same.

Picked up the Stress Zyme and some pH down. The Stress Zyme is added at about double the recommended dosage, but I don't think you can really overdose it. I got the wrong kind of pH down (sulfuric acid, no phosphates) so none of that is in there yet.

Did a water test before I added anything:
pH: 7.8
Ammo: 4 I think...it's on the lighter side.

If tomorrow's test looks light again I may add a little ammo just to get it up to 4. Not sure if that skews the Stress Zyme test, but at least it's a little glimmer of progress :)

xawen said:
I double checked the ammonia and it's the Ace Janitorial Strength stuff. I found a picture of the bottle on another forum and mine looks the same.

Picked up the Stress Zyme and some pH down. The Stress Zyme is added at about double the recommended dosage, but I don't think you can really overdose it. I got the wrong kind of pH down (sulfuric acid, no phosphates) so none of that is in there yet.

Did a water test before I added anything:
pH: 7.8
Ammo: 4 I think...it's on the lighter side.

If tomorrow's test looks light again I may add a little ammo just to get it up to 4. Not sure if that skews the Stress Zyme test, but at least it's a little glimmer of progress :)

Yeah, I don't think you can overdose on the stress zyme. I'm excited to see what happens in the next few days. Good luck!

allaboutfish said:
can you get that ammonia at walmart bc im about to cycle my 29 gallon? thanks

If you've got an Ace Hardware...that's where to go. Click on the link in my thread and read up about the proper ammo and where to find it. Having the right stuff is the most important part of a fishless cycle.

Back
Top Bottom