Yo Yo Loaches - Now Agressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark_cali

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank with a couple of Angels, 2 yo yo loaches and little else. Recently the loaches (one in particualar) went from active/wacky to agressive, pecking at the Angel fish and confronting them.

In the last couple of weeks, we've cut back to feeding once a day, sometimes twice - as the amonia and nitrate levels got too high. Now the levels for Amonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are all normal.

I'm not sure if I need to buy bottom feeder pellets or just abandon these loaches before they stress out the Angel fish. I've been reading the yo yo loaches can get ununusually agressive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Not had that problem with mine - if ya decide to get rid of them - let me know as I will take them off yer hands!

I would not abandon them quite yet.

yo yo loaches are aggressive feeders. I would definately try sinking pellets. The cut back in feeding is more than likely the cause of their aggression. i have has lots of luck with the wardley shrimp pellets. My clown loach would live on them and wait at the bottom for them. When my Tiger barbs would go after them , he would chase them off. The yo yo loach and the clown loach are not a whole lot different from what i see.

I am actually looking into a couple yo yo loaches for my 55 so i have been reading about them.

Aggressive Yo-Yo? Nope not unusual.

I concur, try feeding the loaches on the bottom and the rest on the surface.

It sounds to me like they are too cramped. You have yoyo loaches which a 10g is too small for and a angelfish which needs atleast a 30g. Also yoyo loaches are schooling fish and 2 is not a school. I guarantee you that is were your problem is and you need to upgrade or you are gonna see more problems and worse problems.

My Yo-Yo is only aggressive when its found a spawning bed, I watched one go at it with a dominant male gold ram for hours the other day and won sometime in the overnight hours due to it laying in the same egg loaded bed that was there the day before.

and ive gotta go with these guys, 10g is WAY too small.

Back
Top Bottom