Your prefered bio media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a marineland magnum pro canister filter with bio wheels on a 55gal tank and was toying with the idea of replacing half of the carbon it came with with some kind of bio media. I was looking into the fluval biomax media. It's just a ceramic cylinder.

1). Has anyone used this? What did you think?

2). Would you recommend something different instead.

BillD said:
There are all sorts of media you can use, including my fave, plastic pot scrubbers.

Pot scrubbers! Genius! Never thought of that.

I use the Fluval Biomax, but that's probably because it's a Fluval 205. :)

If you are replacing carbon - why not replace the whole thing? Carbon really isn't worth having in a functioning aquarium.

I use Biomax in all my canisters. Pot scrubbies don't have alot of surface area for use in canisters, they work well in large wet/dry applications but IMO not in canister filters.

Last edited:
I use Seachem Matrix.
Its very popular around my town, and it has a large surface area to colonize good bactera!

Fluval Biomax is also good.
I used biomax before matrix was released.

Honestly, any material that has a large surface area will be effective as a biological media.
The sponges in an aquaclear filter are Great too!

Vircomore said:
I use the Fluval Biomax, but that's probably because it's a Fluval 205. :)

If you are replacing carbon - why not replace the whole thing? Carbon really isn't worth having in a functioning aquarium.

I don't want to replace everything at once. And I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

I think either matrix or biomax will be the winner. Just comes down to what I can get my hands on.

Back
Top Bottom