zank379 betta soroity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zank379

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, i am new to this GREAT forum so i hope my first thread ok! I am planning a 10 gallon betta sorority. I plan to 6 female betta's. The tank will be very heavily planted. My questions are as follows. What filtration should i get and i dont want to overstock but are there any other fish i could get? Thanks

With 6 bettas in a 10g, no there aren't any other fish you could add. I suggest you use the search fuction on the site and read about other people's experiences with betta sororities. They are a very tricky venture and often don't work out. 6 of them in a 10g seems like a bit much. That stock would be better to try out in a 20g IMO.
Anyways, welcome to the site. Feel free to ask any questions. There are a good handful of people on here who have tried betta sororities. :)

would the main problem with 6 in 10 be filtration or aggression?

zank379 said:
would the main problem with 6 in 10 be filtration or aggression?

Cramped conditions will cause aggression in most animals and Betta are renown for somewhat strong personalities lol.

I think upping to a 20gal would be a more healthy and happy environment for them.

Cramped conditions will cause aggression in most animals and Betta are renown for somewhat strong personalities lol.

I think upping to a 20gal would be a more healthy and happy environment for them.

will a 20 gallon high fit on a 10 gallon stand?

a 20 gallon extra high would. its a 20''L X 10''W X 23''H

otherwise a regular 20 would be 24''L

i guess i am looking at 20 high, how many bettas would i be looking at?

I suggest you measure the stand and see if the 20g available to you would fit. Usually, stands are made to fit 10-20g tanks IME, but it all depends.
Honestly, even 5-7 of them in a 20g might not work out well in the long run, but it certainly has a better chance than 6 bettas in a 10g. Sororities are just difficult though. Good luck! I hope it works out! Keep us updated. :)

Back
Top Bottom