zebra loach feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my first loach the other day and he is in my tank with praecox rainbowfish.
My question is what do you all feed your loaches?
Right now he's eating blood worms but not too many are left by the time they get down there and I dont have any sinking foods just yet. Wanted to get someone's opinion on what to feed.
He's got a healthy appetite and is always foraging and snuffling around my plants.
Also I'm gonna get more and what seems to be the magic # for this schooling fish? My plan is to have this tank be a rainbowfish centered tank. 60gallon.

I feed my zebra loaches and other bottom feeders bloodworms by turkey baster. Just squirt the worms on bottom of tank. And get more zebras. The are much happier and show more personality in bigger groups. Have 8 in my 75g and are just so fun to watch

Loaches constantly forage for food and eat practically everything. I have several different types of loaches and they eat everything from frozen foods, to flakes, to algae wafers. But not long ago I tried a new food, New Era Plec Pellets that have a mix of various things including algae and the loaches love them. They are soft and I always flatten them out alittle before adding them into the tank but man are they a hit with a lot of my fish. They are made for loaches, algae eaters, and bottom feeders. Even my oto's will come down for them. I have some Red Lizard Loaches that can be hard to feed and they love these pellets. Also the pellets are quite large which makes it easy for the fish to eat off of. I got mine from Drs Fosters and Smith.

Loaches constantly forage for food and eat practically everything. I have several different types of loaches and they eat everything from frozen foods, to flakes, to algae wafers. But not long ago I tried a new food, New Era Plec Pellets that have a mix of various things including algae and the loaches love them. They are soft and I always flatten them out alittle before adding them into the tank but man are they a hit with a lot of my fish. They are made for loaches, algae eaters, and bottom feeders. Even my oto's will come down for them. I have some Red Lizard Loaches that can be hard to feed and they love these pellets. Also the pellets are quite large which makes it easy for the fish to eat off of. I got mine from Drs Fosters and Smith.

Sounds like a win!

Feed him a high quality sinking shrimp pellet with the bloodworms and he will be fine! Agreed though get more loaches at least 3 more what size tank is it to just wondering.

Sounds like a win!

Loaches are omnivores and do best with a wide variety of foods. Also if you have any snails your loach will be a happy camper (unless you have kuhli's). Even my tiny Burmese Rosy Loaches and Multi Striped Pygmy Loaches will eat tiny little snails in their tanks. Some people actually put nuisance pond snails in tanks with their loaches so they can naturally hunt food. Although many people also smash them first so there is no chance of them breeding in their tanks.

Feed him a high quality sinking shrimp pellet with the bloodworms and he will be fine! Agreed though get more loaches at least 3 more what size tank is it to just wondering.

Its a 60gallon. I think 3 more would be good.

Loaches are omnivores and do best with a wide variety of foods. Also if you have any snails your loach will be a happy camper (unless you have kuhli's). Even my tiny Burmese Rosy Loaches and Multi Striped Pygmy Loaches will eat tiny little snails in their tanks. Some people actually put nuisance pond snails in tanks with their loaches so they can naturally hunt food. Although many people also smash them first so there is no chance of them breeding in their tanks.

I will probably get a couple snails every Noe and then and toss em in. I dont currently have any other than assassins

Back
Top Bottom