Zebra loaches in planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys.

I am starting to loose the battle/balance of pond snails.
I do want some in the tank but dispite assassins being in the tank and manual removing, there is still a few too many.
My favourite loach (snail eater) is the clown loach, but I have heard that they dig fairly heavily in soft substrate, is this true?
Also will the zebra loach eat my nerite? If so I can find him a good home.

Any advice welcome. Cheers guys.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had a clown loach in my planted tank with no problem with him digging in the substrate. I uses assassin snails but it did take a while for them to catch up with the pond snail population.

Aww thanks. Definately want a zebra now :)

Nerites are a type of trapdoor snail with quite hard shells making them very hard for all but the largest loaches to kill. Now the tiny horned or spiny nerites can be killed and eaten by loaches. I keep 6 good size Angelicus loaches in my 220g and they leave my nerites alone. Loaches love pond snails as they have very thin shells and are very easy to kill. One thing to remember is loaches prefer being in groups.

Okie doke.
I do love zebras so might have to get 2-3. Will they kill all my pond snails or will they keep them at bay?

Are they definately ok with amano shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom