Zero's 36G Abode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
QvjP0otvHYalycGymQZrplq_hj3dHE-JUl66KktnILE=w1284-h963-no

The ammannia coming back to life!

Where did you get the wallichi? When your tank fills in it'll be the bee's knee's!

sit in silence...

Where did you get the wallichi? When your tank fills in it'll be the bee's knee's!

sit in silence...

A store "Aquarium Adventure" in Columbus Ohio, I ended up picking up RadMax some too. If it actually takes off and I can propagate it. Ill send you some!

Also ended up going back to my original reactor on this 36G, the increased flow rate was worth it. I am going to move the Cerges Reactor over to my 40G since my SunSun 304-B is coming tomorrow, it has a higher flow rate, so it should handle that reactor much better.

748bJxoVD8iF6qHBHaOzz3xMWRExRC3uk_IYmhZnxvM=w1284-h963-no

Hey zer0,

Yeah when you get some growth in there it's gonna look so good. I'll bring you some blyxa when we meet up. It's consistently one of my best growers. The two stems you got should recover nicely.

How do you like that 24/7??

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Good luck with the walichi. Didn't work out in my tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried this as well but could not get past a staghorn/BBA type of algae on the lower limbs. Best of luck.
Brookster - wasn't that pre-BML? You should give it another go.
Zero - late to the party. Nice setup. What is with the needle/saddle valve on the top left of the reactor? Is that to bleed air?
My star repens went through a short period where holes and a brownish "tinge" was on most of the older leaves. At the time it was about two months into PPS Pro but still using DIY CO2. I could not pinpoint what resolved the issue. I believe the nitrates were too high and the phosphate and potassium were too low. Idk. The initial stock of stars might get stemmy and rooty after several trimmings. I ended up pulling the old stuff out after I had enough new growth to fill in the area. I repeat this every 6-8 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey zer0,

Yeah when you get some growth in there it's gonna look so good. I'll bring you some blyxa when we meet up. It's consistently one of my best growers. The two stems you got should recover nicely.

How do you like that 24/7??
Thx RadMax! I am hoping so, they're a little faded, but with some TLC I think it will bounce back!

As for 24/7, I like it right now, but they have only been on this 36 for 1 week. On the 36 I have it on full power (attached to a lamp timer) running 4 on, 4 off, 6 on. But on the 40 I have it in 24/7 mode.

Yeah they say they can be an algae magnet, and once its in there.. Its game over, wont ever come out. I have some in both tank 40 and 36, hoping at least one of these tanks it will blossom!

Zero - late to the party. Nice setup. What is with the needle/saddle valve on the top left of the reactor? Is that to bleed air?

My star repens went through a short period where holes and a brownish "tinge" was on most of the older leaves. At the time it was about two months into PPS Pro but still using DIY CO2. I could not pinpoint what resolved the issue. I believe the nitrates were too high and the phosphate and potassium were too low. Idk. The initial stock of stars might get stemmy and rooty after several trimmings. I ended up pulling the old stuff out after I had enough new growth to fill in the area. I repeat this every 6-8 months.

Yeah, that was an idea that i can quickly bleed 90% of the air after service to it or the filter. Beats trying to turn a 15in tube with hoses attached to it to get the Air Pocket out.

Yeah I am hoping these will recover, I am already starting to get new growth out of the section that trimmed back to the substrate. My only fear is I am going to have a Brown Algae out break because of me changing out my substrate almost a month ago to flourite sand.

Yah man. I couldn't keep it clean.. like ever.. granted it was earlier on in the game and my setup was utter chaos.. i think your tank should be advantageous for this plant.

Ended up dropping the Fluval 306, and replaced with a Marineland C-360. I was not satisfied with the flow rate from the 306. Compared to my SunSun 304b, it was like night and day. So the C-360 is actually a rebranded Sunsun not the 304 version.

I am going to keep the Fluval 306 in my back pocket, for either a 20L High Tech, or if needed add to another existing tank.

M27k7ud_rOXuW9PneIinerTCQ-rGz0f9iZ92fAskOSk=w1327-h995-no

As for the tank, I am just trying to keep the brown algae at bay. It slowly creeps on the lower leaves, and then the flourite sand just sticks to it killing off the light to the plant. I did a very good scrub of everything (substrate, plants, glass, equipment), I pulled the rocks for the time being as I just couldn't keep them clear of it (also wanted to verify it was not obstructing flow). Also a fully 70% WC after the complete scrub down, so will see by next weekend where I stand with the diatoms.

Trimmed back some of the Rotala, and Ludwigia. No new growth yet from the Blyaxa, and S. Repens look like death... Glossostigma and everything else tend to pearl very well at the end of the photo period.

l--rWm7Z3yA6Ewt3NrtY0d23OzmC4lHZo0KcTiSR4uM=w1327-h995-no

wq-Jkj8zSObOUVQpCO5xhRmB2Qi6A01mxUJeey2XENE=w1327-h995-no

Ended up dropping the Fluval 306, and replaced with a Marineland C-360. I was not satisfied with the flow rate from the 306. Compared to my SunSun 304b, it was like night and day. So the C-360 is actually a rebranded Sunsun not the 304 version.

I am going to keep the Fluval 306 in my back pocket, for either a 20L High Tech, or if needed add to another existing tank.

M27k7ud_rOXuW9PneIinerTCQ-rGz0f9iZ92fAskOSk=w1327-h995-no

As for the tank, I am just trying to keep the brown algae at bay. It slowly creeps on the lower leaves, and then the flourite sand just sticks to it killing off the light to the plant. I did a very good scrub of everything (substrate, plants, glass, equipment), I pulled the rocks for the time being as I just couldn't keep them clear of it (also wanted to verify it was not obstructing flow). Also a fully 70% WC after the complete scrub down, so will see by next weekend where I stand with the diatoms.

Trimmed back some of the Rotala, and Ludwigia. No new growth yet from the Blyaxa, and S. Repens look like death... Glossostigma and everything else tend to pearl very well at the end of the photo period.

l--rWm7Z3yA6Ewt3NrtY0d23OzmC4lHZo0KcTiSR4uM=w1327-h995-no

wq-Jkj8zSObOUVQpCO5xhRmB2Qi6A01mxUJeey2XENE=w1327-h995-no

The plants look nice and healthy, especially that Rotala!

Thx still fighting a little brown algae on them, but another 2 more wc while shaking them down should clean them up even more.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thx still fighting a little brown algae on them, but another 2 more wc while shaking them down should clean them up even more.

Diatoms? Yeah, water changes and sucking them up will help get rid of them, and with time they'll go away. I'm interested to see how that Rotala wallichii does. I've been afraid to try it in my tank.

Diatoms? Yeah, water changes and sucking them up will help get rid of them, and with time they'll go away. I'm interested to see how that Rotala wallichii does. I've been afraid to try it in my tank.

Right now I don't think the wallichi is going to make it in this tank. The diatoms hit it pretty hard. But I have high hopes for the batch in the 40g. Once the diatoms settle in this one, I hope to bring some fresh wallichi back in (if it makes it).

Right now I don't think the wallichi is going to make it in this tank. The diatoms hit it pretty hard. But I have high hopes for the batch in the 40g. Once the diatoms settle in this one, I hope to bring some fresh wallichi back in (if it makes it).

It seems like a lot of people have trouble with wallichii in terms of preventing algae attacks with it. Good luck!

It seems like a lot of people have trouble with wallichii in terms of preventing algae attacks with it. Good luck!

Thanks!

Yeah, thats what Brook as saying along with some stuff online. It was $6 for a nice batch of it, so I am not out big... Will see how it goes!

It grew like a weed, just acted as a catch all for debris and would blow up with algae in lower flow areas, in higher flow it would twist up and drop needles.. i hate it basically.. looked awesome though..when it wasn't pissing me right off;)

WC done, still have big issues with brown algae on the substrate. Seems to be leaving the plants alone this past week. So I am hoping it is slowing down, or my plant growth is just out matching the diatoms. Still getting a little GDA on the front glass, nothing major just scrape it off before WC.

Nothing new other than a skimmer, and pulled the wallichi as it had 0 chance with the diatoms. Also did revert back to my Sat Plus Pro (24in) on the front half of the tank, still using the 30in P+ 24/7 for the back half.

Anyways... Here's to hoping for a better week with the 36...

_WOaq1XkXJlpprRgpvv9NeKZfoQR8htPGl8lCGXdMd0=w1327-h995-no

BDk13pPZtxjrF09bmGIliV9B2EM8OJNOW42AbhF8A9c=w1327-h995-no

mRr3yqtbKPIGbn-e9YyZkEny7tVd2rO-VuxYvvHnJpA=w1327-h995-no

Can any one tell what is wrong with my Red Ludwgia (its the tiny leaf version). Co2 levels are high, Ei Dosing every day, root tabs below it, and pretty strong lighting above it....

Seems like some of the leaves are getting green/brown patches on them.

thXoPFlygj9xAPJZHp2Rm8gJTwqP57ZUrRNG3blgCcI=w1284-h963-no

aDPRgzIELeDExGrnafTd0riO6T2fv92q8liy7kIQ7Vw=w1284-h963-no

I used to see that on the occasional leaf on the same plant. I can't recall if it occurred randomly or after making a change (amount of light or duration). The issue appeared to resolve itself over time (leaves filled out and green/brown coloration disappeared).

Back
Top Bottom