Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pat! They were FREE!! Buy one frag get one free. I wouldn't have gotten them otherwise. Not a big fan. They are for my wife she likes them.

The small frag of zoas are rather interesting they look very much like a zoa I can't find a pic of. They are really cool...I don't have a cam that will show them....There are 5 different types on that small frag....gonna split them up and frag a few of those others before putting them in the reef.

Yeah it always drives me crazy trying to take pictures of my tank. No matter how nice of a camera you have it seems you can never capture the true color or beauty of corals. Haha although that may be because i don't know how to use my camera very well. Nice pick ups though. If i'm ever around virginia i'm going to have to stop by your LFS you guys always come back with nice stuff.... and while i'm there i will pirate your frag tank as well! YARG

Thanks for the kind words!

This weekend...boy do I have a lot of work to do. I've got to finish designing the new canopy. Oh I bet I haven't said a thing about this have I?

Ok. Last week on my local reef club message board a guy was selling 2 icecap 250w MH ballasts. I just happen upon it and couldn't resist with the price. I've had plans to upgrade to dual 250w MHs since I went with the 120g tank. The opportunity popped up and I jumped on it!

So, since I have learned the hard way over the last 2.5 years that my canopy was not the best idea I've ever had I'm going to redesign it and start from scratch. After I get it drawn up and figured out I'll post some details on what I'm planning.

I've got to get the frag tank finished up. The sand is in and everything is settled back down. I MUST get the egg crate in the tank and all the corals fragged up and on plugs. My clowns have laid eggs so I'm just waiting on this nest to hatch before messing about in the tank.

The mini-LFS trip Neilan and I took last weekend netted me several new corals that need to be placed in the reef. I've decided to frag the zoas before doing this so I have some growing in the frag tank. My wife has claimed the acans as I expected her to do. I'm not a big fan and I really got them for her anyway. One of the frags of Zoas I got has 5 or 6 different kinds on it so I'm going to seperate all of them so I can get them growing. There is one polyp of this GIANT paly that I've never seen before. I'm hoping it will grow quickly.

That's about all I have for now.

Oh yeah...We have pretty much decided to split the anemone this weekend. When that happens I will be doing a video to post on youtube. I'll make sure to put a link on my thread so you guys can see how that goes. I actually talked to the guy that my anemone came from and he told me not to worry, they are very tough and I'll do just fine...and he offered a replacement if I do kill it. I don't want to kill it but I think I'm going to give it a shot. It will only be cut in half. I'll keep one in the main and one in the frag tank. The one in the frag tank will be my "propogation" anemone.

More to come....

I was looking at icecap ballasts, since they seem to be high end ballasts, but whoooa...they are not cheap. Gonna hold off since I wont need them right away and stick with the T5s for a year. The never-ending upgrade pocess. Good luck with the RTBA split.

I was looking at icecap ballasts, since they seem to be high end ballasts, but whoooa...they are not cheap. Gonna hold off since I wont need them right away and stick with the T5s for a year. The never-ending upgrade pocess. Good luck with the RTBA split.

Icecap are pricey but they are one of the best options out there. They offer incredible customer support, they really stand behind the products they sell. I'm not getting brand new ballast, these are about a year old.

There is nothing wrong with T5s, I use them on my system as well.

Icecap are pricey but they are one of the best options out there. They offer incredible customer support, they really stand behind the products they sell. I'm not getting brand new ballast, these are about a year old.

There is nothing wrong with T5s, I use them on my system as well.

Actually, I wasnt planning on ditching the T5s completely. I want to use the T5 for actinics and add a couple 175w MH when time comes for reef. Sound about right? If so, the T5 is a four bulb 54w each and wondering if I need all four actinics or just two?

Thanks

Actually, I wasnt planning on ditching the T5s completely. I want to use the T5 for actinics and add a couple 175w MH when time comes for reef. Sound about right? If so, the T5 is a four bulb 54w each and wondering if I need all four actinics or just two?

Thanks

Are your T5s in a fixture or are they the diy retro kits? I have 2 T5s and 2 VHO actinics on my 120. I guess it is up to you. With T5 you can mix and match the bulb combo and get better spectrum coverage.

I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to fit all my lights in the new canopy. As it is now things work but with the upgrade to the 250's I'm going to different reflectors on the MHs and they take up more space. I may try something a little different with the actinics this time around. I'm going to work on the design a little more later today.

Wow Ziggy nice thread, I cant wait for more.
i.gif

The guy that my anemone came from is taking my flame angel in trade for a few corals and splitting the RBTA for me.

Here is a current FTS and a close up of the anemone:
1012584mediumai3.jpg

1012585mediumsj3.jpg

Have you split your RBTA yet?
A fellow at Reeffrontiers claims "just feed a whole silverside every four to five days you'll get a split."
If you want to check it out:
Reef Frontiers

I have read the same thing but the problem is feeding a lot can cause more problems then it does good. I think having the guy that I got the anemone from split it for me works best.

Well...actually no I don't. I have a feeling I will have to take the reef completely down to get it out. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow and see if by some stroke of luck I can catch him without removing things. If it comes to it I will take everything out to get the fish though.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom