Zombie Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted this problem here a month or so ago and didnt get any responses. Its gotten worse, so I thought I'd try again.

Ive got a Serpae Tetra that doesnt look right. Its got a kind of "ashy" appearance and its insides are showing through its scales. Also, its fins are starting to look somewhat tattered. All and all, he looks zombie-fied (hence the thread title).
Other than its appearance, it is otherwise fine. Swims, eats and schools normally.
Ive had it for about 4 months and first noticed it looking different than his friends about 6-8 weeks ago.

He is currently in a 4 month old 45 gallon tank that is being filtered by a Marineland 350. Checked the parameters yesterday before doing the weekly 50% PWC and they were 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrites and 20ppm Nitrates. Temperature swings between 79F and 81F, depending on the time of day, and pH is 8.2 (same out of my tap).

The fish in question is one of seven Serpae Tetras. Additionally, there are 9 Harlequin Rasbora and 3 female Mollys in the tank. I would describe the tank as moderately planted (with a semi-recent outbreak of black beard algae) and lots of pest snails and 4 Assassin Snails.

They get a varied diet... NLS small pellets most evenings. Morning and afternoon feeding consist of either Omega flakes (regular or kelp) or TetraMin Crisps. On Monday evenings they get either frozen brine shrimp or dried tubifex worms. One Wednesday evenings its blanched peas, and Thursday night is frozen bloodworms.

Here is a recent picture of the fish in question (peril?)

Attachments

• zombiefish.jpg
    zombiefish.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 97
Sorry about the picture quality. Taking pictures of fish can be frustrating. They never seem to want to get up closer and stay still.

I had considered Dropsy when I first noticed the change in color. While his belly IS slightly more swollen then the other Serpaes in the tank, its not nearly as swollen as what I see in pictures of fish that have Dropsy. Also, the scales are not raised. If Im understanding the condition right, it would be in much worse shape (trouble feeding and swimming) after roughly 2 months of no treatment.

So, while I havent ruled it out completely, its not high on my list of suspects. In any case, if it was Dropsy, I would still need to know what was causing it.

I will keep trying to get a better picture in hopes that it will help with a diagnosis.

I have not. Im not sure what to treat for yet. Also, Id like to isolate it before treating and my QT is currently occupied. I have another 10 gallon that should be almost done cycling and was thinking of temporarily using it as a hospital tank for this guy.

It might not be a bad idea to treat for both parasites and bacteria when you get a free quarantine tank. If people are having trouble IDing it then you'd be covering all of the possible issues :)

Back
Top Bottom