Zoos not coming out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have multiple zoanthid colonies in my tank. I have had them for id say 2-3 weeks now. All of them open up when the lights come on and yet one rock with id say about 20-25 has maybe 6 out on it. I moved it after they had not opened up for a couple days. Also a little sand was on them. Any ideas or what I should do or just wait it out.

They may not like the lighting or flow where they are. Try moving them and see if they improve. Zoas always seem "fickle" to me. As far as I can tell, their preferred conditions vary a lot.

What type of fish do you have in your tank. I have a bi-color chromis that likes to rearrange the sand under the LR. He will spit it out and if it lands on a coral , the corals close up to stop the sand from getting all over them.

Also have you checked your water test results to rule that out?

BTW moved to the sick coral forum.

Thanks guys my parameters are fine. The only thing is I have been bumping up the Ca levels. I am at 430 now. That is where I want it to stay. Everything else is fine. I might just put them in a little shade tomorrow when I get off work. Like I said a few are out and the others are not. That sounds right. I guess my next question is how do I tell deep water zoas from the more shallow dwelling type.

Ask them! :invasion:Just kidding. I don't think there is any way to tell.

If they open up in the shade, they're a "deep water" zoa in your tank... :)

Okay well I moved them to a little more of a shaded area. I will post pics tomorrow I am getting some more corals. What is weird is that I got these specific zoas I am talking about on here from my LFS. Which is not where I have gotten everything else. I am just wondering what the deal is. I am sure that is not it however its kinda weird. Tomorrow I am getting some purple people eaters, some brilliant pink zoas and a green favia.

Alright well I have some pics...
Here is what they used to look like
18608-albums490-picture4004.jpg

Here is what they look like now. I moved them to lesser light maybe they are deepwater I do not know.
18608-albums490-picture4003.jpg

Some are still out but on the main bunch up in the front there is only one out. I dont know what to do.
Oh and yes those are my new purple people eaters. All my other zoas are thriving.
18608-albums490-picture4002.jpg

I may have found my answer on another thread. Down towards that end is where I saw a bristleworm the other day when I was picking it up. This is more than likely why they are closed then huh. How long can they stay closed and still come back out or stay alive is my question now.

I don't think bristle worms would cause them to close for long if at all.

Back
Top Bottom