cichlid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking start a cichlid tank but have a few questions that i hope someone can answer for me. First what is an ideal tank size to start a cichlid tank? Why are cichlid not compatible with other fish? Live Aquaria says they are compatible with larger catfish but to use caution, what do they mean by that and what type of catfish are they compatible with? Any other helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks

Cichlid covers a wide variety of fish. Are you looking for African or south/central american? Some are aggressive and will eat or kill smaller fish.

Some cichlids can be kept in a community but not very many

Cichlid covers a wide variety of fish. Are you looking for African or south/central american? Some are aggressive and will eat or kill smaller fish.

I'm going to assume that African and south/central american can't be mixed? If I had to choose then id probably want African cichlids

You are right they should not be mixed. I don't keep Africans and I know some cant be mixed. Some of the more knowledgeable African keepers will chime in but I noticed its kinda quiet in here due to the holidays.

I'm going to assume that African and south/central american can't be mixed? If I had to choose then id probably want African cichlids

I mix SA/african cichlids, and I have for quite a few years but it definitely isn't something I recommend to a beginner. It can be done but only if you know what kind will be most tolerant and the specific individual needs of every fish; even then, it's a gamble!!! I suggest you start out with one continent until you really get to know these fish. They're great fish though, you won't regret going with them!!!

cichild questions

I have a couple Africans in with my South American cichlids. They all do well and look great. An african that I think deserves more attention is the buffalo head. Love them! Not the most colorful but definitely have a great personality

Thank you all for explaining this to me. I'm looking to purchase another tank for cichlids but what is the minimum size I should target? I know it all depends on how many I want, I'd like a good number of them so I'm guessing the smallest I can go is 55 but again I'm not to sure

A fun tank is Deff what I want. At least now I know the smallest I can go is a 40 so I was on the right track with a 55

I have some juvenile Africans arriving next week, they will be housed in my 40gal until I upgrade (hubby and I will be building a massive tank for them) so I'm interested to read this thread!!

A 55 is good for a mbuna tank although smaller can be done if you do a species only dwarf tank for example pseudotropheus saulosi which is my fave as males and females look different and both are beautiful. They're aggressive lil buggers and stay about 3 inches. White top hara are awesome also. As are rustys and yellow labs and demasoni. Do your research and you'll have a thing if beauty! Link below shows all the Malawi mbuna and profiles.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Here's a link to stocking a mbuna tank

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

And another one
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/27706-the-mbuna-aquarium/

Ask all the questions you want! I personally don't see a need for catfish as my fish don't even let food get to the bottom!

And a pic of my tank for fun!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388804335.688376.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388804364.872892.jpg

Wow that tank is amazing! Did you buy those rocks or just find them outside and rinse them off? Thanks for all those articles, I'll be reading up on them tomorrow. I'd really like to have a second tank with cichlids but I want to make sure I do it right and not regret buying a type of fish.

Thanks! Bought most from landscape store. Much cheaper than pet store. As long as you research and follow guidelines and don't mix fish that will not do well together your on a good path. Everyone has gotten fish that will em up to big for their tank at some point but that's not fair to fish and makes it hard on you to keep up with maintenance. This forum is full of people that will try and guide you toward the right choices. Ask questions and do your research and you will be fine! Do NOT just buy some fish that yu like the look of or want that wont work with your setup and you will be good. Even still you'll prob end up with some hyper aggressive guy that needs to be moved but you don't want a tank full of em!

Also don't skimp on filtration. I have 2 canisters that do a combined 800 gal per hr on a 72 gallon tank and I still feel like weekly water changes aren't enough to keep it looking how I want

And look on Craig's list for a used tank. A lil elbow grease and you'll have a bargain

I was going to wait til tomorrow but I started reading some of those links you provided me and that's the type of info I've been trying to find! It's giving me a better understanding as to what I think I want to do. I will be doing all of my research on them before purchasing any fish. I do need to find a tank first if course, I have a 40 gal with the filter and bio wheel built into the hood, I like the ease of that type of tank so is one like that ok to buy for a cichlid tank?

I have 2 blood parrots and a super red Severum in with my Africans, they've been in for close to a year now. I had them in another tank that developed a leak. It was either mix them or lose the fish. A year later it's all sunshine and rainbows to say. A lot of people say no, but it can be done.

I have a couple Africans in with my South American cichlids. They all do well and look great. An african that I think deserves more attention is the buffalo head. Love them! Not the most colorful but definitely have a great personality

In my opinion this is iffy and may work for some short term I don't advise trying this if you don't have extra tanks to move fish around.

Thanks! Bought most from landscape store. Much cheaper than pet store. As long as you research and follow guidelines and don't mix fish that will not do well together your on a good path. Everyone has gotten fish that will em up to big for their tank at some point but that's not fair to fish and makes it hard on you to keep up with maintenance. This forum is full of people that will try and guide you toward the right choices. Ask questions and do your research and you will be fine! Do NOT just buy some fish that yu like the look of or want that wont work with your setup and you will be good. Even still you'll prob end up with some hyper aggressive guy that needs to be moved but you don't want a tank full of em!

Also don't skimp on filtration. I have 2 canisters that do a combined 800 gal per hr on a 72 gallon tank and I still feel like weekly water changes aren't enough to keep it looking how I want

this is good advise and I agree on at least 10x gph and weekly large water changes.

That's ok but you will need more filtration. The thing w mbuna tanks is overstocking is preferred as you will read and that means more poop and hence more filtration. I think the norm is like 8x filtration to tank size so for a 40 you'd want 500 gph. I doubt the integrated filter does that so adding another hob (hang in back) or ideally a canister filter, would be good. You'd like to have 2 on any tank you do. The best hob is the aquaclear 110 and most or the canisters are great too. The benefit of them is you can customize the filter media as you want it and there's much more surface area in them for building the beneficial bacteria you need to maintain the tank parameters. I like the rena filstars for canister but eheims are supp to be great too. I have a fluval canister on my smaller tank and its so much easier to maintain and run than any I've used. They're a bit more but worth it. And get your filters and supplies on line from a store like big als or per solutions. Always sales and way cheaper than a store

what do you mean by filter media? all i have are cartridges that go into the hood of my tank. so when it comes to hob and canister filters I don have that much knowledge with them.

Back
Top Bottom