cichlid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An aquaclear 110 or a mariland emperor 280 or 400 will fit over the rim on a 75. I have had all 3 on a 75. I recommend the aquaclear 110 over the emperor filters. Its rated at 500 gph and is adjustable but is the most expensive HOB I know of.

I was thinking of an aqua clear but the rim on the topfin tank I got is a lil over an inch wide. I was sure hob are wide enough

Ok thanks I'll do both then. I like planning ahead of time as I'm not setting up for another few months.

Have you decided on any stock yet ? Have you found anywhere other than a chain store to buy from ? ie online, local breeder or family run fish shop ?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking I want to do some type of jack Dempsey and convict tank. Other then petsmart there is a family run shop closer to me that has a pretty good selection of fish, he has dempseys and convicts in the same tank and it seems like they get along pretty good. That's where I'll prob buy most of the fish when the time comes

A 30g was my first tank and it's a great start for any beginner. Cichlids can't be mixed with other fish cause they will put sand in there mouths and will dig holes by a rock or two they will select. They do this for awhile once it's complete and there satisfied. If any and I mean any other fish or cichlid goes into that rock that cichlid will try the best to kill, I've lost fish from this so make sure u in clude many rocks. Lastly when the female is pregnant she will hold eggs in her mouth don't try to take them out she will swallow them let nature do it's thing. And while this I shaping she won't eat and will be aggressive until the baby's are ready to be spat out.

A 30g was my first tank and it's a great start for any beginner. Cichlids can't be mixed with other fish cause they will put sand in there mouths and will dig holes by a rock or two they will select. They do this for awhile once it's complete and there satisfied. If any and I mean any other fish or cichlid goes into that rock that cichlid will try the best to kill, I've lost fish from this so make sure u in clude many rocks. Lastly when the female is pregnant she will hold eggs in her mouth don't try to take them out she will swallow them let nature do it's thing. And while this I shaping she won't eat and will be aggressive until the baby's are ready to be spat out.

A 30 gal is not an appropriate tank for most of the commonly available cichlids on the market today. A 55gal is a much more appropriate starter tank for someone getting into commonly available cichlids, and if we could inform more people of that fact many more would be successful with cichlids than currently are.

Most of the behaviors you are describing here are common only to African Rift lake cichlids, not all cichlids in general. African Rift lake cichlids make up only a portion of the different types of cichlids that are out there.

Back
Top Bottom