cichlid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the above posts. We can help you nail down a stock list. Don't rush into making impulse buys based on one chain store employee's input. Some chain store employees are awesome. Many aren't. Same goes for any store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Agreed! Ive had my fair share of bad advice from PETsMART so far. Unfortunately for me I don't have much around me for pet stores so I'm pretty much forced to go there, which is why I'm asking all of you. I do very much appreciate all the advice and quick responses

I have to disagree that choosing random fish out of a mixed Mbuna tank is a recipe for harmony... Often times, those fish are hybrids and you can't count on what they are or how they will behave.

If you're referring to me I didn't mean to imply that. I was just stating that some people only have that selection to choose from that do not have a local shop that's reputable or the means/willingness to order from an online dealer.thats why I said you're not sure what you're getting. Hybrids are a whole other topic I don't think we need to get into for a beginner keeper. I'm sure you know the opinions and debates that brings up with veteran keepers! I started with the assorted route but once I learned some more I went specific types I knew I wanted. I only have one miscellaneous I don't know about that I have a soft spit for as he was lone survivor of a power outage for 3 days

I retread my reply and by no means meant to come off argumentative. I appreciate your expertise as well as I'm sure the op does!

I'm just saying, hybrid fish are a topic that is likely to come up sooner rather than later when picking fish out of the mixed Mbuna tank. They can be unpredictable. I do agree that lots of folks do not have either a good lfs, nor the time/inclination/budget /etc. to use online retailers.

*edit * no offense taken whatsoever. It's all just conversation to me... None of us have all the answers. :)

Last edited:
They're unpredictable altogether. I have one tanganyika fish a kaiser tropheus that I bought when first starting out that is now terrorizing only my rusty group. He's on his way to a trade in unfortunately as he's a beauty! Doesn't belong w my mbuna though.

So if I choose a few different species I like will you guys tell me how many I can get of each and what goes with each other in a 55g?

Thank you again. Earlier you said you had a circulation pump. Is something like that a necessity with a bigger thank, and what one would you recommend?

I personally like them as it prevents poop from gathering and settling on sand in one spot. Even in my 37 gallon I don't have one ....and there's always a section I have all the poop settle. I'm thinking of getting one for that tank too. I had aqueons ones and one broke - didn't like them. Now I have marineland ones and I feel they're too big. And they're suction cup attached and I came home and one was pointing straight down and blew all sand from one corner of tank to the other so one was bare down to glass an other had a mountain of sand. Water clouded up. Look I to koralia with the magnet attatch. That's my next ones. And get the weaker ones so you don't flow you're fish around. These would be perfect
http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-522698

Alright I'm back, I'm in the works on getting a 55gal, which mbunas would be recommended for this tank and how many? I'd like a few different kinds/colors, and maybe some active ones as well. As for filtration, I'm thinking of a canister and an aqua clear 110. Along with a circulation pump and 2 200 watt heaters. Any thoughts on this setup and any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I just got 4 cichlids and I got 1 alto prececepts and 1 gold lab and a blue with vertical black stripes and a albino one which I don't know what it is. Anyways I read the alto might eat the blue and yellow fish and I'm worried and asking if I should replace him now so that buying equal new size cichlids don't cost to much money in the long run especially if they are going to get eaten by the alto. I heard it gets up to 10 inches and the others only 3-4 inches. Please help me

I need to ask a question too. I am setting up my 40g aquarium and have created a 3D background using black foam. Now i need to know how many Demasoni cichlid and Electric Yellow can I keep in my tank ?

Alright I'm back, I'm in the works on getting a 55gal, which mbunas would be recommended for this tank and how many? I'd like a few different kinds/colors, and maybe some active ones as well. As for filtration, I'm thinking of a canister and an aqua clear 110. Along with a circulation pump and 2 200 watt heaters. Any thoughts on this setup and any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

55 gal is the starting point for mbuna. Id recommend dwarf mbuna you could have between 15 and 25 depending on how much water you want to change each week. Three or four species would work look at labidochromis such as hongi perlmutt caerelus lodotropheus sprengerae and cynotilapia spp.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and if you really want to get the fish you are after and not what is in a mixed tank, rather than the fish a big chain store has think about getting your fish delivered from a breeder. Yes you have to pay shipping but you get superior quality and the fish you want rather than what is available at local fish store.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice, I actually got a 75gal tank now. So my options are much better. What do you recommend i do? And the rim around the top of the tank is kind of thick so I don't think a hod filter will work and I may have to use 2 canisters (which is going to be expensive and would rather not do) any suggestions with that problem?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom