Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

new thread on Lake Malawi set up

I'd like to talk more about Lake Malawi fish. I'm thinking of a 110 now b/c the footprint is the same as a 90 but I get 20 more gallons.

My new list is:
Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab)
Copadichromis borleyi (Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid)
Otopharynx lithobates (Aristochromis red top)
Sciaenochromis fryeri (Electric Blue, Ahli)
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Acei cichlid)
Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ruby Red, Rubescens)

Now the Acei is a herbivore and considered a mbuna so I don't know if this presents a problem so far as feeding. Liveaquaria says it is an omnivore. Red Empress is a herbivore haplochromine so I'm hoping it is not as hard to feed as a mbuna. I've chosen the red peacock because of aesthetics and b/c I wanted another red.

Once again, can I create a good Malawi community with these fish I've chosen? I've narrowed the list from the previous one b/c of what I presume to be problems with availablity of some Malawi cichlids. Should I be able to get most of these fish fairly easily? Are there some other species I should consider?

Old 08-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i'd strongly suggest new life spectrum series of pellets. i've heard nothing but good things about it. but be careful not to overfeed - one of the principle causes of bloat. and if you are feeding with this, nothing else is needed (BTW, i'm not a salesman ) .

the choice of fish looks pretty good to me. i'd suggest visiting www.bluegrasscichlids.com and talking to eddy, the owner. unless you have a very reputable lfs, with knowledgeable people, the chances of getting the fish you want is pretty slim (i know for a fact that my lfs knows squat about cichlids). also, the haps cost a lot more when bought as adults. so, what most people (unless you are ready to shell out some big bucks ) do is, buy them as juvies and grow them up together. that, way, compatibility is also better ensured. you can watch them color up. they do take some time to grow up, but the transition is said to be worth a lot. and young fish ship well. but feeding them with NLS ensures fast growth.

but this is all from my perspective, and i wish to follow a similar line of thought when i set up my 75g (i don't know when ). i'd suggest taking the opinion of other members also.

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks again. I'll look up the site!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hot dog tetrin! That site rocks! I'll be bothering those guys a good bit if things work out!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll vouch for that brand of pellets. I use it and can tell that the fish coloration has really brightened up and they look very healthy.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks dax. i'll be ordering from him too when i do order. and i think he'll be able to comment a lot better on your fish selection than i ever could.

BTW, i have no idea how fishy got hold of her wonderful collection. i'm really really jealous on this matter (both the BIG tank and the gorgeous fishies).

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It took patience and searching to find the fish that we have. I found a GREAT lfs in STL that specializes in Lake Malawi Cichlids (Malawi Aquatic is the name of the store) and they get in TONS of species that I've never seen before. I was like a kid in a candy store. Too bad we were almost completly stocked and were there to get the Cobalts and Acei's. That put us to our max. But there were so many rare species that were wild caught that looked AMAZING but we just didn't have the room for them.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Your really close to picking a tank that could possibly have a larger footprint have you looked at the 120gal specs?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have now. Thanks again. I'll look into the 120 gallon. It's wider but shorter than the 110. The length was more of an issue so the 120 may work better. The 120 is heavier than the 110. The 110 I figured would weigh around 1,230-1,250 lbs depending on the amount of rocks that I put in. The 120 would weigh at least 1,344. But it may be spread out more because the tank is wider. The wider-shorter space would make it easier to decorate too.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wait a minute, the 150 gallon high has the same footprint as the 120. This is getting out of control, but I like it. I'm getting more concerned about my floor though. Now I'm up to 1,500 lbs.

Tags
lake malawi, malawi, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com