My first Sw tank 11 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayhem_nano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started a 11 gallon nano tank. It is my first sw experience. I bought a nano starter kit from my lfs. It came with:

Tank (11 gallon)
Stand
Light fixer( dont know what the lights are)
Protein skimmer
425 powerhead
50 heater
10_30 gallon filter
13 lb of live rock

I am on day 7 of cycling I tested my water on sunday and everything was perfect so I am guessing its going to take awhile to cycle since it hasnt even started yet I did buy bactira and have been putting that once a day. Well tst tomorrow one question can I add snails if it an open tank or will they try to get out. My profile pic is of my tank

Attachments

• 252.jpg
    252.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 389
So I found out what kinda light my setup comes with. The brand is compact power and it comes with two 18 watt bulbs one is white and the other is uv I think. Will that be good enough for coral?

You should be also to keep some soft coral and LPS with out to much trouble.

Most snails won't crawl out of an open tank but that depends on the kind of snail. Do you have a source of ammonia in there to start the cycle?

I am pretty sure that those lights will not support most corals. If I were you I would run the tank for a year or so as a fish only with live rock. Then once you have the experience and you tank has matured upgrade the lighting and start getting corals. Have you given any thought to your fish selection yet? Make sure you get nano reef safe fish, I would suggest small gobies and a fire fish, maybe a brittle starfish (just be sure not to get the green serpent star) and I would add 15 small hermits (blue-legged) and a few Onyx Nassurius snails (to keep the substrate clean) and a couple of cerith snails. You may find the odd snail on the floor without a top. Nice looking setup though, just be sure to take your time and don't rush it, that's where most people new to the hobby go wrong! Good luck!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

pat8you said:
You should be also to keep some soft coral and LPS with out to much trouble.

Most snails won't crawl out of an open tank but that depends on the kind of snail. Do you have a source of ammonia in there to start the cycle?

I am no expert on corals or lighting so listen to these guys!

That sucks waiting a year for coral its kinda the reason I wanted a sw tank. The reason I bought this set up is becauae my lfs had one set up with coral and only a couple of fish and it was the corals that really set it part from fw tanks. No I really dont have a source for ammoina expect a hitchhiker crab and some little white worms and the live work. Oh yea I forgot I have four pounds of sand not live sand will that be a problem

I personally disagree with waiting a year to keep corals. The reason they say that is because you need a tank that doesn't have much fluctuation in param. If you know you can keep nitrates to almost zero then you are fine IMO. This is just corals not anemones.

from, Adam

Fishfan321 said:
I personally disagree with waiting a year to keep corals. The reason they say that is because you need a tank that doesn't have much fluctuation in param. If you know you can keep nitrates to almost zero then you are fine IMO. This is just corals not anemones.

from, Adam

This is true but I think it's best to be patient as this is your first experience with SW and it is a Nano tank, but it depends on how much dedication and you will have to keep a close eye on it with water changes and tests... Whichever route you take, good luck and keep us posted.

Yes I understand. It does make sense to hold on but a mushroom or two Cant hurt right ;).

from, Adam

Thanks for the advice. There is this shrimp I want to get but I dont know if it is reef friendly and it cost around 50 dollars at my lfs so I do trust them yet I dont know the name is. its white and has grey spots all over. Its starts with a h

Mayhem_nano said:
Thanks for the advice. There is this shrimp I want to get but I dont know if it is reef friendly and it cost around 50 dollars at my lfs so I do trust them yet I dont know the name is. its white and has grey spots all over. Its starts with a h

Sounds like a harlequin shrimp, you may want to google an image to check. This wouldn't be a good choice, it only feeds on starfish and with a tank that size there is no way you could have a breeding population of SF to feed it, you would have to buy several SF a week to feed it. They look awesome but it wouldn't work.

Yea thats the one. And I do remember them sayin it feeds on sf that sucks it was the coolest thing I have seen. Any suggestion on lights with my setup? I have been reading up on lights but I still cant make any sense on it because my ligjting looks I tech but it sounds not good enough.

So I am going to be switching to LEDS just going to wait after my cycling is done. Cant wait until I get them. I have some unknown coral hitchiker hope it makes it. And I have this ugle sponge grownin that I guess angel fish love to eat but I dont want a angel fish what to do?

Post a pic of the hitchhiker.. Sponges are good from what I've heard.

from, Adam

Not these guys they are ugly they are whitesh and look like vains growing on my LR. I dont have a pic of the hitchicker yet but it has kinda of a thick trunk and has a leaf and the color of it maroon

So did you add a raw shrimp to get your cycle going? One hermit crab isn't going to do much as far as ammonia source. The sooner the ammonia starts spiking the sooner the nitrites, then nitrates will follow...

Those sponges are some of the best things you can have in the tank. They are harmless filter feeders that help to get rid of excessive nutrients that end up causing nuisance algea in the tank. Not everything needs to look good to be good in the aquarium. If you liked that shrimp check out the fire or blood shrimp. They are a blood red with white spots. Would be much hardier and will eat any trash in the tank.

this is the hitchiker i was talking about and the white stuff is the sponge

Attachments

• 231.jpg
    231.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 191
Back
Top Bottom