75 Gal Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So no losses in my brief power outage but I did discover one cool thing... Even if I lose power my sump won't overflow! Looks like my returns are positioned perfectly

Dano. said:
So no losses in my brief power outage but I did discover one cool thing... Even if I lose power my sump won't overflow! Looks like my returns are positioned perfectly

That's always a good thing to know! I have had mine overflow a time or two :)

Yeah that was all I could think when I saw my lights were off at home.., but I have a few inches of clearance in my sump

So it has become apparent that my yellow clown goby is the dare devil of my tank! First he takes a ride to the sump, now he hangs out on my veggie clip while others eat.

Attachments

• image-1617031197.jpg
    image-1617031197.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 98
Small issue now, my dottyback is looking a bit sickly. Looks like ich

Good news is he swam right into my net and I have him in a hospital tank. Everything else is looking good for now

Update... Everything in the tank is still looking healthy but I lost the dottyback :(

Update... Everything in the tank is still looking healthy but I lost the dottyback :(

That sucks =/ I find that typically you can avoid an ich outbreak in SW aquariums just by keeping your water quality up and keeping your fish fat. I have had a fish come down with ich a few times and every time I left them in the tank and just tried to keep them as happy as can be. Because I think pulling them out makes it alot worse from all the stress from moving. Not that this helps you now but maybe in the future? iv never lost a fish to marine ich but iv seen it destroy systems.

Yeah he was a new addition to the tank so I did not want to risk an out break... Sad to see him go

Hope that works out for you, I threw mine away many years ago. It didn't seem to make a difference. I found that the water quality and feeding controlled the health of my fish and that controlled the ICH. Haven't seen any for over 15 years.

I had a sterilizer ordered before the ICH, but either way we shall see. :)

Appreciate the advice, I have a 250 GPH pump hooked up to it. According to the manufacturer this is a good flow for killing bacteria

Dano. said:
Appreciate the advice, I have a 250 GPH pump hooked up to it. According to the manufacturer this is a good flow for killing bacteria

Thats good flow for bacteria but needs under 200gph for parasites at least this is what ive read

i use mine at about 150-175 gph

Parasites are harder to kill than bacteria (which you really don't want to kill if it can be avoided, which it can't), so a slower water flow gives a higher UV exposure to the parasites, the longer the exposure the more complete the sterilization.

Thanks for the advice guys I will be making a short trip to pick up a slower flow pump

Back
Top Bottom