Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Siphon break is normally on the return pipe not the drain/stand pipe. Water can back siphon through the return nozzles other wise. Limiting factor will be the wall of the overflow not the pipes behind it. If you look at most CL, the feed is lower in the tank. If you put a bulkhead in the overflow about half way down, it will not be an issue. I guess you want to avoid PH's? I have 2 PH's that run 1200+ each

I wish someone else would chime in to at least say I am wrong. It is a lot harder to change plans with water in the tank

Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know what you're getting at - a hole lower in the closed loop overflow box would take care of your concern - but for now, I've gone ahead and ordered 2 Gen-x PCX 40's, to run both of them to the basement.

Yes, I want to avoid powerheads. Messy, more to maintain, more heat, and there's honestly no great place to put any the way I'm setup (unless I set them within the rockwork). Still not a fan - if I can get 1400GPH + flow through my main returns, with the dual outputs on the new megaflow kits, I should be okay.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I found a good source for aragonite - I've sent my builder the order for 160 pounds of aragonite (1 to 1.7MM), which I'll mix with the ~100 pounds that I have in use now. With the 150 pounds of base rock I've ordered, plus the ~100 pounds of LR I have now, I should be in good shape in a month or so.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

150 pounds of reef rocks from ThatPetPlace.com, and 160 pounds of aragonite from DrsFosterSmith.com are both on the way. Hopefully I'll see one of the orders, or both, before the weekend, but probably not.

I'll add the 100 pounds of well-established LR I have now, plus about 100 pounds of sand (which is pretty clean, and was just added 2 months ago when I moved my tank downstairs) , for a total of around 250 pounds of LR, and 260 pounds of sand.

Should be enough LR for the tank, about 1.4 pounds per gallon, unless I start adding more livestock. Another 60 pounds to get up to 2 pounds per gallon won't be a big deal.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Sounds like a plan to me.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A few new pics since right before the stainers finished the cabinet. These are from my crappy camera phone, so don't expect DSLR quality

Sand has been added (after these pics). 160 pounds looks like it gave me about 1" to 1.5". I've got another hundred from my current tank. I don't want a DSB, but I might need a little more.

My pumps (2x Gen-x PCX40's) and skimmer (AquaC EV180, instead of the EuroReef 180) are on the way. Rocks will be here tuesday.

The water is a bit messy after adding the sand - I've got a couple powerheads in there, but need to add another and get more movement in the water. It's been closed up for the last few days while they stained everything.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice! Is the tank beside the kitchen?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #48
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I've been wondering too, shame you couldn't keep some lobsters in the tank for a "quick dinner" if needed

P.S. The dark stain looks very sharp

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, the tank cabinet is part of the china hutch - which is technically in the dining area, next to the kitchen.

Added 150 pounds of reef rock yesterday. That was more work than I expected, lots of fist-sized pieces that had to be set in one at a time. It took awhile.

150 pounds covered the entire bottom of the tank - I couldn't stack them because the water was too cloudy to see, from adding the sand the day before. I couldn't rinse the sand because right now I don't have a water source onsite. A few more days.

I kept out one bag of rocks (each box had 2 or 3 bags), and put those in my existing tank, to get them seeded.

I should have my pumps and skimmer tomorrow or tuesday.

The water is pretty bad right now - it clouded over from the sand. And those 6 jumbo shrimp are well on their way to decomposing. It's not a great smell. My ammonia alert badge is showing "alert". Haven't done any water tests yet.

I'm running a small HOB filter, and a couple powerheads, but I need to get my sump up and running, and some real filtration.

Plus, the tank was all sealed up for a few days while they stained. It's going to be sealed up more, off and on, when they paint the walls. I opened it up yesterday and left the canopy doors open to get some air in. I need to get my cooling fans installed in the canopy to move some fresh air in there.

GlassCages hasn't processed the order for my custom sump because they say it "can't be build as designed." Gotta call them tomorrow, but I can't wait two more weeks, so I'm going to find the biggest rubbermaid tub I can, and use that as a sump, until the real one comes in. Just need to find another 3/4" bulkhead and some sump socks. Hopefully I can track them down locally.

I'm a little worried about having this ready on July 14th, the first day of the show which the house is in.

Update at 4PM

The water's scleared up quite a bit since I put the small HOB filter on. It was so cloudly yesterday I couldn't see where the rocks were going as I put them in. Today you can almost see to the back.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

update today - water has settled down completely. I'm regretting not rinsing the sand, but I really had no way to do it at the job site - no water. There's a layer of silt that's settled out.

I'll probably use a vacuum to get rid of some of the silt, but honestly, but maybe not - my sand gobie will love it.

My little HOB filter keeps shutting down - it doesn't sit as low it it should because the frame for the 180 is too thick. I'm going to have to make a trip out before bed tonight to make sure it's running.

The tank will be covered up for a few more days, they're almost ready to paint the room it's in. Right now I have to unwrap it every time I need access. I'm sure that's not doing much for the pH or O2 levels. I wonder if an airstone would be a good idea, but if my pumps and skimmer come in tomorrow, I'll get those setup, and the skimmer should do wonders for aeration.

I have the plumbing I need to setup one return pump, using a rubbermaid tub as a temporary sump. My glass-cages.com custom sump should be here next week, but I want to get some real circulation going as soon as possible.

I lost my ammonia alert badge - it feel off when I added the sand, and it's somewhere under all the rock and sand I added, so I'll have to either dig for it (no thank), or start doing actual water tests Last time I looked, the ammonia alert was heading into the highest range. I'll probably test for nitrites tonight to see how that's going.

I've got about 15 pounds of rock from my established tank, plus about 10 cups of sand, so I'm hoping the bio cycle will kick in strong.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3

Tags
180 gallon, build, build thread, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com