Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #1121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
All looks good Dary. Keep them going strong, how long have you had the tank now since your first coral was put in?
This particular tank has been setup and running since last October but I had transferred everything from my old 75 into it at that time ,..so for all practical purposes two or three years now(?) .... My girl friend was checking out the tank the other night and thought everything looked so "beautiful", she asked me " how much coral can you put in there?" my only answer was " we'll see" ... Glad to say that ( with fingers crossed ) everything looks healthy and happy at this point.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #1122
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow.. Soo lucky. All I ever get is " where are all the fish?"

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #1123
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I love reading this thread. There any updated pics Dary?

Your tank has kept inspiring me to do new things with my tank. The chiller still going strong? How does it work exactly? Did you have to plumb it into your system or did you just run it off a pump? Do you ever have to change the "coolant"?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #1124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Wow.. Soo lucky. All I ever get is " where are all the fish?"
Lol,...Laura understands that my whole purpose of my tank was to raise a rectangular triggerfish ( Hawaiian state fish and our favorite fish to see snorkeling in hawaii every year ) and she also realizes that they're very aggressive so she totally understands why there's only one fish in the 135 gal tank,..but,..she also loves the look of the coral garden even more.,says it looks like " pandora" from avatar .. " lucky" ??? ,..you just haven't met Laura yet ! ( just kidding ,..she's a sweetie)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #1125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I love reading this thread. There any updated pics Dary?

Your tank has kept inspiring me to do new things with my tank. The chiller still going strong? How does it work exactly? Did you have to plumb it into your system or did you just run it off a pump? Do you ever have to change the "coolant"?
Thank you!! ...it's all just a work in progress right now,...re. The cooler,..it's only been set up for a week or two now BUT yesterday, it was VERY hot out here and I actually got to see it first hand working to my benefit ,. There's a inlet and a outlet line on top of the cooler unit itself,..I ran my sumps return pump ( danner mag 12) line to the inlet of the cooler and the cooler'r outlet line back up to the tank,...it simply just circulates your aquarium water thru the coolers lines until the cooler needs to kick in to start cooling the water,You physically set your cooler for whatever temperature you want ( digital keyboard) in my case 78* the cooler will kick on when the tanks water temp reaches 79*and will cool it back down to 77* before shutting itself off.
I really feel that this was a fantastic addition to my tanks hardware,..absolutely no regrets about purchasing it...as far as changing the coolant,..kinda like your home refrigerator, I seriously doubt you'll ever have to do it.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Funny you should mention Pandora. Cameron took a great deal of inspiration from the reef to invent Pandora. Everything from giant Christmas Tree worms, to phosphorescent organisms. It was the first thing I though on my first SCUBA dive...I had entered another world.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #1127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Funny you should mention Pandora. Cameron took a great deal of inspiration from the reef to invent Pandora. Everything from giant Christmas Tree worms, to phosphorescent organisms. It was the first thing I though on my first SCUBA dive...I had entered another world.
Greg,..although I'm just a Hawaiian snorkeler ,..every single time I enter the water and gaze down on the reefs i am simply awe struck,..it is truly " pandora"..,I feel so fortunate to have been able to see their world,...counting down the days until we go again ( sept.30th) ...can't wait !
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1128
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was hoping someday to to Fiji, its where a lot of our stuff comes from so I feel I would be most familiar with everything there. But honestly, anything would be great. Do you guys have any pics of your trips?
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1129
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
I was hoping someday to to Fiji, its where a lot of our stuff comes from so I feel I would be most familiar with everything there. But honestly, anything would be great. Do you guys have any pics of your trips?
It's just something that ya just gotta do at least once....we wanted to go to Fiji too but unfortunately the budget wouldn't allow it,...I'm sure that fiji the indian ocean,bora bora or Australia etc would have much more diverse and far more beautiful corals than Hawaii has but that's about as far as me and the budget allows ,.its still pretty awesome to be able to explore a reef and float over the top of a big coral head and watch all the tangs,triggers,wrasses etc that we are so accustomed to seeing in our own tanks.,start saving your money and maybe one day you can take "that" girl to see for yourselves,. I'm sure you'll have a far a better understanding and appreciation for what you have in your tank and see at your lfs.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1130
Aquarium Advice Addict

I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, went snorkling once or twice and don't remember seeing this stuff, maybe I was just at the wrong beach LOL. Maybe I should make a jaunt back there.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Blank canvas | - »