Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #1541
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I like to go by air and water stats. The more air and water a pump pulls in, the better the skimmer. The wheels can always be tweaked.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #1542
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That makes good engineering sense. More is better. The finer the froth, the more surface area available to attract long protein chain molecules. I think that's more important than the shape of the riser. I use to run old fashioned Venturi skimmers and these new recirculator types with the high air flow needle wheel pumps are far superior.

In the end, who cares how it happens, you just want the nasty stuff in the collection cup.

The Red Sea unit has a handy wash down feature and is easy to clean. That's about all I liked about it.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #1543
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just curiosity getting the best of me this morning..... What physically is the difference between a circulation pump vs a pressure pump manufactured by the same company? Would it be the size and the shape of the impellers propelling the water or maybe more windings on the motor ? Or does the circulation pump use impellers and the pressure pump use a diaphragm/ piston ? Just wondering... :-/
Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1544
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
That makes good engineering sense. More is better. The finer the froth, the more surface area available to attract long protein chain molecules. I think that's more important than the shape of the riser. I use to run old fashioned Venturi skimmers and these new recirculator types with the high air flow needle wheel pumps are far superior.

In the end, who cares how it happens, you just want the nasty stuff in the collection cup.

The Red Sea unit has a handy wash down feature and is easy to clean. That's about all I liked about it.
I find the red sea pulls out skim like crazy, but I find the wash down feature not that helpful. Doesn't really wash much, and whenever I use it the skimmer cup will fill up half way with water before goin back to normal
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #1545
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post

I find the red sea pulls out skim like crazy, but I find the wash down feature not that helpful. Doesn't really wash much, and whenever I use it the skimmer cup will fill up half way with water before goin back to normal
I didn't have that problem with it. My problem is it liked to leak.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1546
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Just curiosity getting the best of me this morning..... What physically is the difference between a circulation pump vs a pressure pump manufactured by the same company? Would it be the size and the shape of the impellers propelling the water or maybe more windings on the motor ? Or does the circulation pump use impellers and the pressure pump use a diaphragm/ piston ? Just wondering... :-/
Pressure pumps are designed to lift water. There will be a maximum "head" pressure. They can be designed any number of ways. Circulation pumps usually optimize flow rate, not pressure. In fact I call pumps we use for circulation, fans. It describes their function as water movers rather than water lifters.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #1547
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

Pressure pumps are designed to lift water. There will be a maximum "head" pressure. They can be designed any number of ways. Circulation pumps usually optimize flow rate, not pressure. In fact I call pumps we use for circulation, fans. It describes their function as water movers rather than water lifters.
Yes i understand but if you were to slice a circulation pump and a pressure pump in half what would be different inside?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1548
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Almost all water pumps designed for the aquarium trade are impeller based. The impeller size and tolerances as well as motor torque determine water flow and pressure. Open impellers like used for flow have a open cavity and work more like a fan. I am unaware of any aquarium pumps that use diaphragms or pistons anymore except for air. Hope that's what you meant.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #1549
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Almost all water pumps designed for the aquarium trade are impeller based. The impeller size and tolerances as well as motor torque determine water flow and pressure. Open impellers like used for flow have a open cavity and work more like a fan. I am unaware of any aquarium pumps that use diaphragms or pistons anymore except for air. Hope that's what you meant.
Yes.., thats what i was referring too.. Thank you.. .., i told the guys at the shop that you'd cone thru
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #1550
Aquarium Advice Addict

My skimmer house is now complete and now i only need to order it ( come on tax refund ) ... Im starting to feel like a little looking forwards to xmas.... Hopefully this monster will skim a ton as all the reviews say it will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2261777660.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	150291   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3966490594.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	150292  

Name:	image-701995260.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	150293   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1985336224.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	150294  

Name:	image-3350538188.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	150295   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2772272481.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	150296  

Name:	image-2010123786.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	150298  

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com