Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of things, having its own pump is a good idea as you can vary the flow to suit you. It's a gravity flow thru design, so it needs to be placed high enough to drain into your sump. It generates a little heat, but not much. You want some room over it to be able to lift the growing sheet out (it goes straight up) to clean it. You also need a long brush to wash the inside acrylic of the ATS occasionally to maximize light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I kinda grasp the idea and the mechanics ,..its just getting the critter and seeing in actuality just how much room I gotta work with ,... This might just turn out be a union and a couple of mini ball valves involved for an easy unit removal ,..we'll see come Friday ,... How long was the cord for the lights ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very short, you will need a three prong extension cord, maybe two cords. I also recommend wrapping rubber tape around the plugs to keep SW out. I about fried myself last night.

New rule #1, never work in your fish room with a concrete floor in bare feet. Great way to get electrocuted.

Last edited:
Glad i asked ...The reason was that in the pictures they looked to be extremely short ... Thanks for the suggestions !!!

Very short, you will need a three prong extension cord, maybe two cords. I also recommend wrapping rubber tape around the plugs to keep SW out. I about fried myself last night.

New rule #1, never work in your fish room with a concrete floor in bare feet. Great way to get electrocuted.

What got you ?

I was rinsing the inside of the ATS to dislodge some salt buildup and was using SW. It splashed and hit the power connector and shot some voltage up the stream. SW is very conductive and I was standing on concrete with bare feet. Bad move. Those connections are now water resistant.

Wow ,..glad you made it out safe and sound " sparky " ....

.... Electricity is unforgiving ,... It just doesn't care,..... I remember a year or two back when I had a glass heater in my pwc barrel that cracked ,...I reached in to do something and although it wasn't a coma inducing jolt it was enough to get my hair straightened .
I bet we could run a whole thread on how we almost fried ourselves .

Lol ., you are so correct .....Do you remember that 4-5 years ago we were sharing pictures of everyone's tangle of electrical wires under their tanks ? Insane !

There was a similar sharing experience about a year ago. I tied that into my mishap with water into the power strip and re did how everything was laid out to prevent such in the future. Got as much of the ecotech boxes under the tank and all the power strips up on the wall.

Likewise ,I've got everything pinned to the walls or at least out of the way ....I think prob 99% of all the fire marshals would prob have a heart attack looking at all the connections and wires we have for our tanks :) but somehow they work !

Good news ,bad news I got my 302 aquatic tuff scrubber and it's built like a brick you know what ,bad news is that the lights that they sent would not fit !! They were obviously made for a different unit ,..the cords for the lights were about 8-10 inches too short to fit around and on the unit I had ordered ,... Sooooo frustrating ,...I tried every conceivable manipulation trying to get these to work but to no avail ,... It's kind of crazy how they have these things wired up ,..there's a light on each side of the scrubber and they have both units wired together into a single plug , prob is that the plug is right next to the unit and the saltwater too,.. Kinda scary if you ask me , I finally ended up texting joe the builder and he apologize for the screw up and wanted to make amends ,... I still really don't like the fact that the cords are only a few inches long ,...so I decided that even if he sent me a new set of lights with slightly longer leads that they would still be way too short and way to close to the water for my taste.
So on the way home from work today I stopped by Home Depot and bought the necessary merchandise to extend those leads to about 6 feet each so that they could easily be plugged into a timer far away from the unit and the water ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448149047.002759.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448149060.770277.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448149081.824076.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448149102.390884.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448149119.440110.jpgitself.
Currently I've got the unit under the tank sitting on top of the sump with millimeters to spare ,... Joe the builder seems like a really nice guy and is very willing to help ,...ill be finishing up all the plumbing when I get a second wind,... I'm trying to plumb all the reactors and this scrubber to run on a single pump.,there's a bunch of plumbing to do to accomplish this correctly ,... I think Monday will be the day everything is up and running .

Today was a busy busy aquarium day,... I woke up to something not quite right ,.upon investigation I discovered that my control module for my mp40 was flashing green and red indicating that the pump was stuck and needing cleaning ,..so at 4 in the morning I was dismantling the pump and cleaning it out cuz it was over taken by hard algae ,..that took some doing but got it fixed and running beautifully,... I decided to ck my alk level right after that (before I made up some more pwc water ) and found my Hanna tester was on the blink ,... I kept getting weird error messages that made no sense ( a couple of years back another one I had did the same thing and never did recover ) I messed with that for quite awhile before throwing in the towel and ordered a new one from marine depot which will be the fastest delivery for me ,... About an hour later it started working again :-/. I guess I'll now have a spare.
I started to assemble pvc pieces and little valves along with some vinyl tubing to get my gfo reactor ,my carbon reactor and the new turf scrubber all uniformity working off of the same pump ,... It's not the prettiest plumbing job you'd ever see but everything worked as hoped for, .. One of these days I'll go back and pretty it up a bit,. . I had also switched out the two smaller port holes I had installed in the lower part of the cabinet for two larger ones and then installed the two smaller ones I had removed on the other two lower doors.... Whew !!! Time for a beer !
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448316528.967115.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448316554.702541.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448316572.054040.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448316589.018447.jpg

I hope it works for you. Since getting it running my phosphates have stayed pinned under .1ppm the average being .07ppm, almost perfect.

All this talk about ATS actually had me dream of one that I made that was 5ft tall last night...imagine the potential! Either way, I love the ATS.

Hank ,.. This ats stuff is new to me so I'll kinda have to feel my way around it,..sounds like greg's doing great with his combination .
I didn't really wanna get too fancy with all the plumbing etc until I knew it was all going to work right ,.. Now I'll have a nice game plan for some of those rainy winter days ahead.,I was kind of worried but she worked out nicely

Dr. Addy wrote the book on ATS and I read it long ago. Harnessing the seas natural filtration systems by modeling skimming that surf on a beach provides and healthy algae production which ties up nutrients. Seemed like the right way to go to me.

Back
Top Bottom