My happy little Sun Polyps!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all!

i just wanted to post a quick message saying how exciting i am about my sun polyps. i just got them and some green mushrooms yesterday. i drip acclimated them last night and they have been closed ever since. however, when i went to feed my fish tonight, i used a pipette to squirt some of the food directly on the polyps. within a few seconds they started extending their tentacles!

i tried to feed each little polyp, but after i was finished i noticed a few, tiny little polyps near the underside. i'm going to have to try to get those little guys next time! :)

Attachments

• sun_polyps_686.jpg
    sun_polyps_686.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 24
thanks to everyone for their enthusiastic replies. the little polyps have been doing well - i've been feeding them the same frozen foods as i give my fish (spirulina, formula one/two, vhp) every other day. is there anything additional they should be receiving?

quick question for you guys -
i have had my sun polyps since aug. 28 now, and they have been extending their tentacles at night and i have been feeding them every other day. however in the past week i have noticed some recession on a couple of the polyps. the only problem with the chemistry has been high nitrates (above 20), which i have been trying to get under control with regular water changes. could anything else be causing the polyps to receed?

also, i was wondering if the foods i am feeding the polyps are not nutritional enough for them. i do not have any micro-plankton, so i have been feeding them the frozen foods i give my fish. any ideas?

tia.

Do you target feed them with turkey baster. If so mysis , brine or cyclpeze will work. I only feed mine once or twice a week. Here is a pic of mine I took this morning.

img_712192_0_2105f006baf95f3b9fc006ce4ffea8f5.jpg

Even though ideally 0 is the best 20 on nitrates is not the end of the world. If you are at 20 and then doing PWC it should be well below what it`s supposed to be. Do you have a wet dry or emporer bio wheel?

i do target feed them with a pipette. i have been feeding them every other day the same frozen cubes as i feed my fish. today i went to the lfs and bought some zooplankton.

i don't have a biowheel. just the liverock for biological filtration and i have one of those filter socks in the sump. i also have a protein skimmer.

one more question i forgot to ask. i read that they prefer low lighting. i have them sitting on the bottom of my tank, but i run two 50/50 power compacts (total 260 watts). is this too much light for them?

They are low light corals and I have mine under some LR. Try to shade it some under some LR or coral.

I`m not sure but at least you`ll be able to rule that out as the reason. I was going to say make sure it`s laying on the sand but I looked at you pic and it already is.

i just moved it under an overhanging of lr. i also fed it some of the new zooplankton that i bought today. i will keep you posted on it's condition. thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom