Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
shark egg

I have had my shark egg for 7 wks. Starting to get a lot of movement inside...exciting. How do I know when it is getting close to hatch? Do I see significant egg changes? They tell me to section off a part of my tank until I get the shark to eat. Wondering if I should do that now?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.

I'll hold my personal opinions of the sell of shark eggs. Good luck!

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Welcome to AA!

Are you properly prepared to keep a shark that grows to almost 4'? What size tank do you have?
When it hatches, have small pieces of fresh squid, scallops or live feeder shrimp for it.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
Old 08-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I wish I had a tank as big as you
95 Gallon reef system
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I dont smell flames. Just people giving their opinions on the matter and asking questions to see if the OP has the proper tank to keep a shark. I`m personally one of those that think they are better left in the ocean but if you have the right size tank and can get the job done then good luck. I too would like to know what size tank?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Section the tank off now, the shark could hatch while you are away.

Definitely have the live feeder foods that ccapt mentioned to entice the shark to eat right away.

What species of shark is this?
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Jimbo7 and ccCapt: I appreciate the answer to my question. I will section my tank off right away and get the appropriate food. I Was searching the forum for aquarium lovers for more insight than what I have already received from the store and reading.

Jimbo7 it is a bamboo cat shark. At least that is what the owner of the fish store and what was on the tag on the tank. Other than that I was taking their word. The owner also asked what size tank I had. He only sales bamboo cat sharks and only to those who have big enough tanks. Yes, it is more than big enough to hold a 4 foot shark. Although the owner told me they get any where from 24 to 36 inches. It is the only thing that will be living in my tank. Its been a boring 4 months. Only had the egg for 7 weeks. Finally some movement.

I suppose if I said I had a 1,000 gal tank that wouldn't make some of you happy. I admire your love for your hobby/profession. It would be more helpful to anwer the question than not to answer the question. Your not answering could have put that very thing that you say you love in an immediate danger. When you could have answered the question and then voiced a concern on tank size and possible solutions if you felt it was inadequate.
HN1 I respect your answer and thank you also. Hinds04 I'm not sure if your answer was towards me or someone else.
melosu58 the above paragragh is for you also.

Although I really do not want to answer on tank size. Because you just cared about your own appetite. My tank is: 300 gal wide dimensions are:
96 x 30 x 24
If I see that is not enough.... I will get a bigger tank. As for now. I will continue to learn about my soon new arrival and do my very best to learn more and take care of it. In the meantime, I will find another forum that is really interested in education and helping. Than giving me their oppinion on a question I didn't ask.

Good luck to you all. Enjoy your hobby or profession.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
i hear 180g is the minimum requirement so you should be fine, every shark thread is a flame fest for some :p GL can we get pics of the shark when it hatches?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
300g should be fine mate, Its good to see people go the right way about things.

On a previous thread, Someone had a shark in a 95g. Now tell how long a shark could do well in that!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

ezcar- You bring up some very valid points and that is always welcomed. I'm speaking for myself here on the topic of egg sales. Most are made to those much less prepared than you are and by shop owners that can be less questioning. The vast majority of hatchlings never see 6 months so I find their collection (and the purchases that encourage the practice) personally distasteful. In my opinion though, you are right to point out to the mob that we collectively can be a bit cynical. It can happen after reading countless posts of people with their first 55G SW and a new shark. I hope you don't take offense to the passion in the posts. That passion is why a lot of us are here. I am now tempted to ask 100 questions about your set up out of pure curiousity, but I'll refrain. Any details or pics would be cool though. I'm always out to see new systems and learn something.

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
Closed Thread

egg, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com