shark egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my shark egg for 7 wks. Starting to get a lot of movement inside...exciting. How do I know when it is getting close to hatch? Do I see significant egg changes? They tell me to section off a part of my tank until I get the shark to eat. Wondering if I should do that now?

Welcome to AA. :)

I'll hold my personal opinions of the sell of shark eggs. Good luck!

Welcome to AA!

Are you properly prepared to keep a shark that grows to almost 4'? What size tank do you have?
When it hatches, have small pieces of fresh squid, scallops or live feeder shrimp for it.

I dont smell flames. Just people giving their opinions on the matter and asking questions to see if the OP has the proper tank to keep a shark. I`m personally one of those that think they are better left in the ocean but if you have the right size tank and can get the job done then good luck. I too would like to know what size tank?

Section the tank off now, the shark could hatch while you are away.

Definitely have the live feeder foods that ccapt mentioned to entice the shark to eat right away.

What species of shark is this?

Jimbo7 and ccCapt: I appreciate the answer to my question. I will section my tank off right away and get the appropriate food. I Was searching the forum for aquarium lovers for more insight than what I have already received from the store and reading.

Jimbo7 it is a bamboo cat shark. At least that is what the owner of the fish store and what was on the tag on the tank. Other than that I was taking their word. The owner also asked what size tank I had. He only sales bamboo cat sharks and only to those who have big enough tanks. Yes, it is more than big enough to hold a 4 foot shark. Although the owner told me they get any where from 24 to 36 inches. It is the only thing that will be living in my tank. Its been a boring 4 months. Only had the egg for 7 weeks. Finally some movement.

I suppose if I said I had a 1,000 gal tank that wouldn't make some of you happy. I admire your love for your hobby/profession. It would be more helpful to anwer the question than not to answer the question. Your not answering could have put that very thing that you say you love in an immediate danger. When you could have answered the question and then voiced a concern on tank size and possible solutions if you felt it was inadequate.
HN1 I respect your answer and thank you also. Hinds04 I'm not sure if your answer was towards me or someone else.
melosu58 the above paragragh is for you also.

Although I really do not want to answer on tank size. Because you just cared about your own appetite. My tank is: 300 gal wide dimensions are:
96 x 30 x 24
If I see that is not enough.... I will get a bigger tank. As for now. I will continue to learn about my soon new arrival and do my very best to learn more and take care of it. In the meantime, I will find another forum that is really interested in education and helping. Than giving me their oppinion on a question I didn't ask.

Good luck to you all. Enjoy your hobby or profession.

i hear 180g is the minimum requirement so you should be fine, every shark thread is a flame fest for some :p GL can we get pics of the shark when it hatches?

300g should be fine mate, Its good to see people go the right way about things.

On a previous thread, Someone had a shark in a 95g. Now tell how long a shark could do well in that!

ezcar- You bring up some very valid points and that is always welcomed. I'm speaking for myself here on the topic of egg sales. Most are made to those much less prepared than you are and by shop owners that can be less questioning. The vast majority of hatchlings never see 6 months so I find their collection (and the purchases that encourage the practice) personally distasteful. In my opinion though, you are right to point out to the mob that we collectively can be a bit cynical. It can happen after reading countless posts of people with their first 55G SW and a new shark. I hope you don't take offense to the passion in the posts. That passion is why a lot of us are here. I am now tempted to ask 100 questions about your set up out of pure curiousity, but I'll refrain. Any details or pics would be cool though. I'm always out to see new systems and learn something.

From what I've read, the yolk sac will disappear, and the shark will get a bit cramped and not move around so much, then one day he just pops out. As long as the egg has water flow for breathing you should leave it alone.

It's been a long journey to this point, and I'm excited just reading your story.

People have different reasons for not sharing information, it is their right to do so. If I had a 300G tank, I would be sharing it with both words and pics.... But that's me.

Hope your find yourself a daddy soon, the wait must be difficult. Let us know what it is for sure...

From what I've read, the yolk sac will disappear, and the shark will get a bit cramped and not move around so much, then one day he just pops out. As long as the egg has water flow for breathing you should leave it alone.

It's been a long journey to this point, and I'm excited just reading your story.

Thanks for the info. I will let you know when it hatches.

People have different reasons for not sharing information, it is their right to do so. If I had a 300G tank, I would be sharing it with both words and pics.... But that's me.

Hope your find yourself a daddy soon, the wait must be difficult. Let us know what it is for sure...
The wait is not as difficult as this is the first time with an egg. First time doing an egg. Kinda unsure of myself you thats why i was asking.

New at this forum stuff. Not very techy. If i learn how to put the pictures up and stuff I will. That isn't my issue.

I hope you won't leave our community over one incident. I for one would really like to see some pictures of your tank. I know nothing about shark eggs and I would like to see some daily/weekly picture up until it hatches.

ezcar- You bring up some very valid points and that is always welcomed. I'm speaking for myself here on the topic of egg sales. Most are made to those much less prepared than you are and by shop owners that can be less questioning. The vast majority of hatchlings never see 6 months so I find their collection (and the purchases that encourage the practice) personally distasteful. In my opinion though, you are right to point out to the mob that we collectively can be a bit cynical. It can happen after reading countless posts of people with their first 55G SW and a new shark. I hope you don't take offense to the passion in the posts. That passion is why a lot of us are here. I am now tempted to ask 100 questions about your set up out of pure curiousity, but I'll refrain. Any details or pics would be cool though. I'm always out to see new systems and learn something.

If there is one mistake I made. Its starting with the egg... No experience has made me nervous. I didn't know what to expect. Seeing and reading are 2 different things.

For a month I didn't know if it was alive. Probably should have looked for a video or something. I didn't know what to look for or what I was looking at. Store just told me there was a lot of yoke so it would be a long time.

HN1 I'm not offended just trying. And trust me... If I don't get this right I will not do it again. I'm not trying to destroy something that I think is so beautiful and fastenating.

Again, I respect your first post. You were honest and did not offend. I understood your respectful post.
Thanks again.

You can use a flashlight to observe egg development and embryotic movement. The egg case shouldn't have any offensive smell or necrotic deterioration (fungus, etc.). Generally, an embryo is visible at 18 days and the first stage of development will end around Day 19-21 where you will notice consistent movement, gill formation, and "finnage." The actual embryo will also begin to color. Stage 2 is "Pre-hatch" ending around Day 35. During Stage 3 you will notice a more shark-like form within the case where most of the growth hastens from 90 days until hatch, which can extend from 120-160 days.
Maintain temps. between 75-80F. The higher the temp. the faster the rate of development; however, also a greater risk of lower oxygenation so keep the tank well aerated. The salinity should be maintained between 30-35ppt. As for food, the shark will feed from a yolk sac until hatch and often several days after. It may not accept food until the nutritional aspects from the yolk sac have been absorbed and you will notice a definite decrease in stomach mass. Do not try to gut-load/force feed your newborn as this excess food could very well not digest properly and rot within their gut.
Some sharks do not respond well to fine sand and need a bare-bottom tank for grow-out. Keep an eye on any redness under the body frame and fins where irritation may set in.

Last edited:
I dont smell flames. Just people giving their opinions on the matter and asking questions to see if the OP has the proper tank to keep a shark. I`m personally one of those that think they are better left in the ocean but if you have the right size tank and can get the job done then good luck. I too would like to know what size tank?

Just wanted to explain my post. The first two sentences were written to another poster that deleted his post after I posted my response. That was not directed to you. Sorry if it looked that way but it was directed to him. I then proceded to give my opinion on sharks in this hobby. Everyone has the right to post their opinion whether it`s liked or not and as long as it`s not flaming or attacking which my opinion was not. I then proceded to wish you luck stating that if you have the right equipment and know how you should be OK. I`m trying to see what the problem is. If someone answers something that you dont like or does not answer it like you want them to then that is still their right to do so. Aquarium forums are great because everyone can give their answer or opinion based on their experience as they see fit. It`s up to you to process that advice and take what you want but not to ridicule or trash their advice. Let`s all try to keep that in mind as we ask questions and start threads. Again Good luck on your shark egg and your tank.

I have had my shark egg for 7 wks. Starting to get a lot of movement inside...exciting. How do I know when it is getting close to hatch? Do I see significant egg changes? They tell me to section off a part of my tank until I get the shark to eat. Wondering if I should do that now?
All I asked was about my egg and info on what should I be seeing in its progress and should I section a part of the tank.

Meluso58: your quote:If someone answers something that you dont like or does not answer it like you want them to then that is still their right to do so. Aquarium forums are great because everyone can give their answer or opinion based on their experience as they see fit. It`s up to you to process that advice and take what you want but not to ridicule or trash their advice.

That is exactly my point. They didn't begin to answer the question. There is nothing about an egg in their response. So how is their answer based on experience. I didn't trash their advice to my question because they didn't give any advice to my question about egg or sectioning my tank.

In sports: What does asking what a football looks like. And you answer How big is the stadium?

And pardon me.... If you say as moderator they can give me their oppinion on my question as they see fit(although they really didn't address my question).
Then why can't I give them my oppinion on their answer..... As I see fit.
My oppinion was next time address my question....

Your quote:Let`s all try to keep that in mind as we ask questions and start threads.

Ok, and if that is the case. Why don't you add the key component....

Lets try to keep in mind the question!!! Because that is what you are really supposed to be answering.

Thanks for the wish of luck on my egg. I accept it. Good luck on your forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom