Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

too much flow?

I have a 35 gallon reef tank. (could be a 36 or something. I used the tank calculator but it a hex front and it was tricky to calculate) I currently have a hydor coralia evolution 750 power head and a 120 gph multipurpose pump on the other side of the tank that is temporary. Its not enough flow in my opinion. Im going to purchase another one today and wad wondering if I should get another 750 or the next step up, the 1050(I think). My tank us definitely no smaller than 35 gallon so using the 50x flow to gallon size that's 1750 gph recommended for my tank. So 750 and 750 would be 1500 gph whole 750 and 1050 would be 1800 gph. The price difference is not much at all so I'm thinking ill get the 1050 instead of the 750. Does anybody think it could be too much flow? Or should it be about perfect considering it could be a 36 gallon or so. Its just 50 gph over. I always heard the more flow the better. So which should I go for?

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with the 750 but continue to use your old nano powerhead. That way you have your main flow, and you can use the nano to clean up specific dead spots. Im not a fan of alot of flow and i probably have alot less in my tank then most people, but i dont like watching fish struggle to swim

Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

It depends on what type of corals you are or intend on keeping. Softies require about 30x, LPS and SPS between 40x to 50x turnover
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have some mushrooms, ducan, lots of zoanthids, green star polyps, and yellow polyps. Everything is in the rockwork pretty good. The shrooms are out of high flow areas and everything else can be moved to fit. You think the 1050 will be good?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I picked up the 1050. I think I have it in the tank the best way. I have the 1050 pointed diagnally toeards the front of the tank and thr 750 om the other side diagnally pointed to thr back of the tank so it swirls the water around my rock scape in the middle of the tank. Does that seem to make sense? I moved a few corals around. The yellow polyps where doing more that waving! LOL. All looks to be well so far. There wad some detrius that was picked up off the sand and put into the water column. I could see this helping me out alot. I have more than twice as much flow ad I did now. Here's a pic after I put them in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120911_205541.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	118087

Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

whats the pump for i always hear every1 saying to put 2 750 with a pump? is that for your filter if you have a sump or is it a pump for something else?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oh that's for my hob protein Skimmer.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, wow that's a lot of flow. But if it's not blowing the sand or pressing fish against the glass, more power to you!
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

LOL yea that would be a sight. Look at my tank and all the fish are swimming full steam ahead but going nowhere glued to the side of the tank. Everything seems to be good. I have them positioned to where its not blowing sand or corals. 1800 gph circulation in a 35 maybe 36 or so gallon tank seems like good flow to me. Plus the pump to push the water into my Skimmer is a maxi jet 1200. It'a 295 gph but not really circulating the tank ya know. And I'm still running the penguin 200 power filter it don't do much at all as far as water movement. I plan to do away with it when I get my 1 gallon hob fuge.

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com