Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #271
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just wanted to ask do you put egg crate or similar in the bottom then sand on top to distribute the wieght of all the rock? I assume so and I see a small piece on the refugium

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #272
Aquarium Advice Addict

i hope you shimmed any gaps between the stand and the granite. keep an eye on it too as the wood shrinks gaps could open up more which could crack the granite and then the tank.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #273
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to rafecci
WOW - Kudo's to you and your wife! Good luck with the new stand and tank. Like others have implied "Great diary". The pictures really bring it to life. I just started a SW aquarium less than a week ago (l have a long way to go) and your story put lots of great ideas in mind and some to avoid....LOL I would like to learn more about the "tank under the tank" filter system. (can you tell im a newbie...LOL). At least were to gain knowledge of it from?

Again - Pat on the back and best wishes for your new system. Even though the road has been difficult it sure will make the resting spot more pleasurable.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #274
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
i hope you shimmed any gaps between the stand and the granite. keep an eye on it too as the wood shrinks gaps could open up more which could crack the granite and then the tank.
The granite is sitting flat on the stand the gaps are between the plastic trim of the tank and the granite. I got a response back from Perfecto stating that the -1/16" gap is well withing the stress limits of their tanks. I highly doubt the 1" thick granite slab is going to crack or even move for that matter. The engineers from Perfecto were impressed with the construction of my stand and the idea of using a granite slab for a cabinet top.

I've had the tank filled with FW since last night to test it and see how things look. So far nothing has moved or changed position.

As for the wood shrinking I've taken that into consideration and have trippled the bracing in the original design. I don't think my stand is going to fail.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #275
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
I just wanted to ask do you put egg crate or similar in the bottom then sand on top to distribute the wieght of all the rock? I assume so and I see a small piece on the refugium
I have not used egg crate on the bottom of the tank though I am thinking about it. The egg crate you see in my refugium is there to hold my Mangrove plants up. I'm going to be building a mangrove container that will sit beside the stand, just because I like the way they look.

I'm going to look into using the egg crate to help distribute weight...I'll let you guys know what I decide on that.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #276
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafecci View Post
WOW - Kudo's to you and your wife! Good luck with the new stand and tank. Like others have implied "Great diary". The pictures really bring it to life. I just started a SW aquarium less than a week ago (l have a long way to go) and your story put lots of great ideas in mind and some to avoid....LOL I would like to learn more about the "tank under the tank" filter system. (can you tell im a newbie...LOL). At least were to gain knowledge of it from?

Again - Pat on the back and best wishes for your new system. Even though the road has been difficult it sure will make the resting spot more pleasurable.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you have benefited from my triumphs as well as failures. Live and learn.

The "tank under the tank" filtration... I have 3 basic filtration systems on my tank. 1st is the live rock, the bacteria housed in my rock work to neutralize ammonia and nitrites, (the sand bed is also part of that system). 2nd is my skimmer removing DOC (dissolved organic compounds) from the water column. 3rd is my 20g refugium (tank under the tank). The refugium houses macro algae that remove excess nutrients from the water and help keep the system clean and happy. I try and keep things as natural as possible there by eliminating dosing and other mechanical or chemical methods. IMO having a refugium is a must with a reef tank, they are nice to have on a FOWLR as well.

For some great information on refugiums go to www.melevesreef.com Marc has a page or two dedicated to refugiums, what they are how they work and how to set them up.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #277
Aquarium Advice Newbie

tank janitors

i was wondering if you used any hermit crabs, starfish, snails or anything of that sort to clean the sand or help keep the tank clean?

thanks,
ryan
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #278
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a clean up crew of snails and hermits. I have a brittle star and then there are brittle starts in my tank that were hitch-hikers on my live rock.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #279
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I did some research on the egg crate. It really doesn't make much difference in distributing the weight. I guess it could help if you were going to put the rock directly onto the eggcrate and then put the sand in. I decided not to put it in my tank.

The sand is in and I have about 70g of SW in the tank. I'm going to keep working on it today and hopefully have everything back in there by tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #280
AA Team Emeritus

I also thoguht that eggcrate on the bottom would prevent the natural flow through the sand bed. I'm not sure what problems that might cause but I can envision stagnant areas where hydrogen sulfide would be more prone to build up due the anerobic conditions created. Somebody knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong.

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com