40L vs 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omni024

Aquarium Advice Activist
Asides from the fact that one holds more water what is your opinion on these two tanks.

Planning on upgrading to one of these it's going to be a tropical community planted tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get the 55, it's way more common. The only real differences are the size and the availability and the 55 gallon beats it at both. Personally I think a regular 50 gallon is better than either though (it's basically a taller 40 breeder)

If the emphasis is on plants and if you want to get more bang out of the buck with your lighting, I would go with the 40L. On the other hand, more volume will provide more options fish wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

OK, just to clarify, a 40L is not a 40 Brooder tank. My 40L is almost as long as 55 but 2/3 the wr idth. I find it good as a fry rearing tank but not much else. If plants are you thing go with a 40 Brooder. It will give you lots a floor space.

A standard 40 L is 16 7/8" tall and a 55 is 21" tall from aqueon. L and W are identical. As stated above if you are doing high tech plants I would do the 40L If not the 55 will be cheaper and give a little wiggle room with water changes.

Honestly, neither. The dimensions on both are terrible. I would highly recommend either a 40g breeder or a 75g.

Back
Top Bottom