Betta and ADF questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenwb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a betta and an African dwarf frog in a 5 gallon. They've been together for 3 weeks now. I have a few questions regarding these two:

1) Can the betta subsist on bloodworms? He doesn't eat the Hikari pellets I have for him. I heard it's not nutritionally balanced but I thought wild bettas are carnivores are primarily eat these things. I could try to wean him on pellets but I don't want to unless it's necessary.

2) My African dwarf frog hides a lot in the cave or under a clump of Java Moss. He only comes out occasionally, like during feeding or randomly in the evening hours. Is that normal? How can I make him more active?

3) The frog sometimes snaps at the betta when he gets too close. I only observed this today during feeding time (as usually they are completely avoiding each other). The betta's fins now have two small holes. Is this grounds for removing the frog from the tank? I have a 10 gallon with honey gouramis and zebrafish but I'm worried about the fluorite substrate in there, as I heard frogs are sensitive to iron.

4) Should I buy another frog? By some accounts I heard they are OK to be kept singly, others say they are extremely social (maybe that's why he's not active?)

Thanks for the help, I know it's a lot to read.:D

Can't help you on the frog bit, but the betta should eat most foods, unless they sink... not all bettas want to go to the trouble of digging around for food; they like stuff that floats on the surface. Try flakes if you haven't yet.

Sometimes the betta will get those holes if he flares up at other fish, or his own reflection a lot. If the frog was really getting a piece of Mr Betta, the fins would be torn, I think.

Bloodworms are not good for bettas every day. Do you soak the pellets for a few minutes in a cup of tank water before you put them in? I feed my bettas flakes (which I have been told are not the best for them, but they like them sometimes and they float for a really long time), pellets, the occasional bloodworm or 2, 1 or 2 brine shrimp, and they get blanched peas (boil in microwave in a coffee cup for about 3 minutes, then take the peel off) every Thursday to help with digestion. Remember bettas bellies are only about as big as their eye. If he won't eat the other stuff, try fasting him for a few days, and then try the pellets. Bettas can actually go for a month without food (not good for them though lol). I would try putting a pellet in, or some flakes, and if he doesn't eat it/them by the time they sink, take it out. I would guess they are like dogs in a way....If you feed dogs steaks every night, they are not going to eat their dry food until they are hungry. You know what I mean? I wish you luck with the pellets! It should be their staple food, but he should also have a variety. hope this helps!

Regarding the holes in the bettas fins. How ofter do you change the water in his tank, and is it cycled? One thing that concerns me is it could be the start of fin rot.

Don't worry, it's cycled, and the water quality is pristine. I change the water at least once a weak and its loaded with fast growing hornworts. And the fins are already healing!

Yeah, I think my betta is very strange. He loves digging around for food on the bottom! He also eats from the top. At one point he did accept pellets but after the first feeding of bloodworms he just ignores them! After I get rid of the frog the need to feed bloodworms will be reduced and I'll get him back on pellet food.

I think I'm going to return the frog. It's just so frustrating with so little reward.

Back
Top Bottom