Dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No way, imo. Terrance wrote a phenomenal profile on dp's, you should check it out, it's in the freshwater fish or plant profiles section of the forums here

Dwarf Puffers tend to get quite territorial, and will need a minimum of 5 gallons per dwarf puffer. Also, they produce quite a bit of waste, and will require frequent maintenance and if your system isn't cycled properly, it can be bad for them, as they have no scales. You could probably get away with one or two in a 10 gallon, but I wouldn't put more than one in there personally, especially if you're not familiar with them. I don't personally keep DP's, so I'm going off terrance's advice and what I've heard from my LFS and from research I've done over them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/dwarf-puffer-profile-166924.html

In theory, 4 can work in a well planted 10g. But it may not. As people said, dp do get territorial, but if the tank is really well planted so lines of sight are blocked and if you are really devoted to cleaning up a ton of waste, then it can be done. I suggest trying 2 dp instead though. It would be safer and easier to maintain IMO. Terrance has a lot of experience with puffers, he would be a person to PM about it. HN1 said he kept 8 in a 20g before, so you could try PMing him too. :)

From the research I have done I have discovered that I could keep 3 to 4 in my ten gallon however it is not planted does it really matter if it is or if it Isn't. It has many plastic plants and caves.

It doesn't have to be real plants necessarily, but they need lots of stuff in the tank. Do you have a picture?

I could send you a picture but I haven't received all of my decor by mail yet
(by the way the tank is cycled)

4 is way too many for a 10g tank. They need 3-5 gallons per DP, 5 being best! I have 1 DP in my 10g and its fine. Plus, lfs's sell DP's young, so you can't sex them. If you got two, and they were male and female, you'd have complete and utter chaos in that tank. 1m:3f. Stick with 1 to two tops in your 10 gallon. With how aggressive they can be, you dont want dead DP's!

Also, ask Terrance questions like other people have mentioned. He's helped me a lot!!

People have differences in opinions about tank size. Its always going to happen. Like I said, 4 can work in some tanks. But it may not. Depends on how well the tank is suited for them. Thats why I suggest you talk to the people I suggested since they have experience. :)

Thx for the help I have emailed terrance and am looking forward to learning from all his experience do you know anyone else with a puffer background
Thx

Search dwarf puffers on this site. Surprisingly, there's quite a few interesting threads on them.

Back
Top Bottom