Stocking in a 50 gal with 2 Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
As soon as I get my 50g up and cycled I will be moving these 2 in there:
2011-08-08_18-55-02_124.jpg

2011-08-08_18-54-19_72.jpg

So what else can I add? open to suggestions..

Those are common or comets ... they are fast & grow big. Generally better suited to a pond, but a 50 would do them nicely for a while, although you will want to think of bigger digs when they get really big (like 12"+).

There are not a lot of good tankmates for commons, esp. in a small setup. You can consider a "dwarf" single tailed goldfish (like the shubunkins), but even they get too big for your tank. <They get to be 8-10", but are fast swimmers & ideally would need a 6-8' long tank.>

Double tailed fancy goldfish generally cannot compete with commons (not fast enough), the one exception being a metalic fantail. This may be a way to gradually transition your tank to a fancy goldfish tank.

Snails of all sorts are good with the commons, although you want to avoid small ones as they will be eaten.

A dwarf pleco (like a bristle nose or rubberlip) may be OK, but you want a good size fish ... babies will get eaten.

Those are common or comets ... they are fast & grow big. Generally better suited to a pond, but a 50 would do them nicely for a while, although you will want to think of bigger digs when they get really big (like 12"+).

Hmm,

when they are ready to go bigger they will be offered to a new home. I am not too thrilled my kids got them to be honest. They won them at a school carnival and the mom that bought and bagged 80 of these had no idea what she was buying I think. I would give them away now, but my kids say otherwise.

I have nothing against Goldfish, but in a 50 Gal tank I would really like more then just 2 fish.. LOL

At least my 55 will have cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom