What kind of fish for a 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then what kind of snails do you suggest? Should I add any fish at all?

Thanks, Beacious. :n00b:

IMHO, I wouldn't add any other fish to the tank. The ones that will need similar parameters will be either too fast or get big quick just like the oranda.

Snails would be fine tho. Theres all sorts; I wouldn't recommend common pond snails cause they breed like crazy, but I'm thinking one of the mystery/apple snails might work (hopefully some of the folk who have more experience with em will let us know if they'll get too big for a 10g).

"Koi are goldfish. Just 2-6 times larger depending on species."

Koi are Carp, not Goldfish :p

People I have a problem. Someone (that knew a wanted one) gave me a Koi as a gift. So I guess I have to make the best of it. What do you think I should do? I can't give it away (its only about 1-1 1/2 in.).

I tried keeping koi and fancy goldfish in a 29 gal before and it doesn't work. Not only do the koi out compete the fancy for food, due to it's slender body, but koi and also comets will sometimes harrass the fancy, which I experienced and afterwards read about. Koi also need huge amounts of swimming room. They're not really suited to a small or even medium tank.

My Oranda won't leave the Koi alone. So should I take the Koi back? If it comes to getting rid of the koi can I release him in the fountain at my local park (They already have koi in it)?

I agree that fancies (like orandas) & koi don't mix well. I would take the koi back & try to get a credit for when you get the 55. Or, you can give it to your friend who had a pond (that you mentioned earlier).

Also, leave a strong hint to your gift-givers that you would rather have store credits / gift certificates (or just plain $$ :) ) rather than live fish as gifts. Be nice & explain that you need time to properly prepare the tank to take care of a live animals, etc. Then you can pick out the fish you want after proper research & preparation.

Well the Koi (Kon) and my Oranda (jaramoru) really seem to like each other (they can't get away from each other). And Jaramoru is 2-3x's as fast when it come to getting to the top of the tank for food. Also I decieded to get a couple of fake plants for them and Jaramoru really seem to like them (the only decoration used to be the gravel).

Your Oranda is faster now because he is not in his full adult shape and finnage...he WILL be much-much slower. They are supposedd to be graceful and give a feeling of peace and vision of heavenly lovliness...not be busy. And as messy as both fish are to your parameters you would be better served with the tank bare for easier cleaning. Especially if it is the new tank. I hope it is at least a HOB filter.
UGF is waay off mark for messy fish like goldies or oscars.
Not trying to cloud up your blue sky, just trying to save you some pain later......
Least be prepared what direction to go should our dark predictions for the situation you are setting up come to pass.

How long does it take for an Oranda to get to it's adult shape? Sorry but I don't know what "HOB" or "UGF" mean (I'm REALLY new to this). All I know is that the filter is a "TOPFIN 10". I got the Koi at Petsmart ( :oops: ) so I don't know if I can get store creidit (but I'll call in the morning). If I can get creidit what kind of fish do you suggest?

Think hard..What do you want most from your fish?

Color/ lots of color?
Personality?
Are you happy with a few reallly interesting fish
or do you prefer the tank to look "busy" with activity or bodies.

Answer these 6 basics before getting really swamped by vicious cycle of impulse fish and we can set you up something you can enjoy! there are a LOT of fish out there to choose from. Not jsut a single retail stores stock.

1 Busy/Soothing
2 Some color/Color riot
3 fast fish whizzing about/ graceful fish moving sedately
4 largest group your 10 gallon can hold/a few of something really
different/personble or unique?
6 Tropical(heated)/ Coldwater(no heater)

1.Soothing
2.Color Riot
3.Graceful Fish Moving Sedately
4.Largest Group My 10 Gallon Can Hold (I'll be getting a 55 gal in about one month)
5.Unique
6.Tropical(Heated)

Please wait while members compute suitable lists. Prolly have a great selection by noon tomorrow! I am not familiar with anything but goldies and my beloved labyrinth fish. The only selection I could hand you would never need a 55 and are very peaceful and sensitive. They do not like ruffians for company. They only fit 1,3,4,5,&6. And may cause #4 to be difficult to mix. That is the chocolate gourami,
In full health they have striking color pattern but not colorful. It is pearly cocoa brown with stripes of molten gold and opaline white. They can be kept in large groups, grow slow and are not especially large. but they are very finnicky during their first month or two. There are many socialble members of the betta family that I am hand on familiar with; but they are either too large or not very colorful at all. :lol:
So for tonight..I'm maxed out. I wish to think of a ideal fit. So I won't put out anything yet. I have a few in mind I'll research, I bet they pop up in a post by someone with experience with them first.

Beacious, let your mouse cursor linger over the underlined word and the tooltip will pop up explaining what it means. I would prefer tropicals over goldfish any day, I think goldfish are kind of boring in imo and ime. For a 55 gal, if your into friendly fish, I would set up a community semi-aggressive, like giant danios, gouramis, scavenger catfish. Or, if you don't mind aggressive fish, a couple of medium sized south american cichlids. Unfortunalty, there aren't many fish that you can put in with goldfish except for other goldfish. As for the 10 gal, if it weren't for owning the goldfish, mollies, platies, small danios, and tetras are nice. Basically anything that doesn't get bigger than 2-3 inches. www.liveaqaria.com is a nice web site where I turn when I want fish or plant suggestions. I once read that a good rule of thumb for determining the largest fish that you can put in a tank is, take the max lenght of your fish and multiply it by 10. If that number is greater than the lenght of your aquarium, then your fish is too big. I don't know how much I agree, but for the most part it's pretty close.

Beacious said:
How long does it take for an Oranda to get to it's adult shape? Sorry but I don't know what "HOB" or "UGF" mean (I'm REALLY new to this). All I know is that the filter is a "TOPFIN 10".

A topfin 10 is a HOB - power filter, should be OK.

Goldies growth depends on temperature/ feeding, etc. My baby fancies went from 1/2 inch to 3 in about 6 months. If you keep your temp up, they might grow faster.

Also disagree with "goldies are boring"!! <but I am bias> I think goldies have great personalities. They might be slow & sedate, but they will interact with you & really be a "pet" if given some attention.

However, since you answer "tropical" in your preference for fish, then goldies/koi are out of the running.... :(

To add to the equation, what is your pH and water hardness levels (the lfs can help you if you don't have tests for these yet; just bring in a water sample). Fish from different areas have different water parameter needs. For example, South American cichlids prefer a low pH and soft water; anywhere from 5.0-7.5 or so depending on the species and whether its domestic bred or wild caught. African cichlids tho, need a high pH and hard water; 8.0 wouldn't be out of the ordinary for em. Mollies and most live bearing fish need some salt in their water, and do better in hard water but can live in anything from completely fresh to total marine. If we can find out those levels, we can help figure out what kinda fish will meet your water type and personal requirements.

And you have been absolutely awesome Xmasfish! Have a few kudos from me for being so helpful :)

fish

I doubt he has a ph test yet... I'm a little embarrased to say that I don't either and I've been keeping my fish here for a couple of years. I can say that the water here, and I'm speaking for Beacious as well, same town.. I'm fairly sure the water is hard. I know that I get a nice crusty buildup of sediment on tank parts sometimes... I use to use this little water fountain but it had a leak in the bottom of it so I placed it on something that would collect that water... after a while the sediment plugged the lead and it didn't lose anymore water... As far as pet stores go here Petsmart is way better than Petco... The last few times I went to petco they were barely stocked. It was real sad... Anyway, I'm going to call Beacious today and offer to take him to another pet store he probably doesn't know about. It is owned and operated by one woman, and her husband, and she knows what she's doing. I don't think she always asks the questions a salesperson should, but she does know the answers and doesn't sell sick fish... So even though it's a little bit of a drive I think it would be good for him to know where that store it... In case he doesn't know already, I'll explain cycling to him... I'm glad this is such a helpful place... so many people would be soooooooooo lost if it weren't for Aquarium Advice...

Oh you're too cool millipede! Its amazing how folks here really go out of their way for others. Not something I see on many other forums to be honest.

Heh and tsk tsk; no pH tests? Go buy one today when you take Bea to that lfs ;) Oh and don't base your assumption on the sediment buildup. We have pretty soft water here; pH 7.0 out of the tap, and a kH of 3. All my tanks have some sort of white buildup (calcium I assume), my iron's steam holes are plugged, and I have to really scrub the tub often cause the tap water stains it; lot of iron in the water I think.

Back
Top Bottom