What kind of fish for a 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Menagerie,
thanks alot I'll go ahead do some research. Also I went ahead and cleaned out the tank and am going to let it "Cycle" this time (THIS TIME). Also my Apple Snail won't quit floating! What should I do?!?! And is it ok to put the 2 Snails in the tank wile it is "Cycleing"?

Thanks, Beacious. :pimp:

I never owned snails--you may want to post that in General discussion or Unhealthy fish.

I believe you can cycle with snails since they are biological organisms! (sorry, I am not much help with the snails :oops:) Someone gave you a link for apple snails--I can't remember if it was this thread or not, I would look for it and read it--I'm sure it will be very helpful.

What did you clean the tank out with? I just rinse with warm water over and over again. IF I use a household cleaner, it is in tiny amounts and then water is run through the tank and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed!!

Just for you, I will work on getting a pic of my peaceful community tank (50 gal). It will take a while--no digital camera! That way you can see the diversity a community tank allows.

Once again, thank a whole lot :D Menagerie! You and Chirstmasfish have been nothing but help :D ! That link was www.applesnail.net and I've been there before and their really helpful. Also I've made a new thread called "Cycling???" and could really use some help.

Thanks again, Beacious. :pimp:

Okay. I just tested my tank and here are the results.

ph:7.6(tap and in my tank)
hrph:7.8 tap and 8.2 tank
ammonia:0-0.25 :(

are these good?

I'm not entirely familiar with hrph. What does it stand for and what are the units?
There's no fish in the tank right now--correct? What is your ammonia source--frozen shrimp?

BTW--I am compiling the list. Just to be sure of myself--currently you want them for the 10 gal--correct?

yes ma'am to all 3 questions
ma'am?!?! 8O
If it were like ammonia, which is read ppm (parts per million), there would be units. There are no units for pH.

I don't think you should be getting so many pH readings. Are these tests from a kit? Were there two pH tests? Strips or chemicals?
I know for my pH tests--there are two. One is for pH of 7.4 to 8.8 and the other is for 6.0 to 7.6. The idea is a pH test is more accurate over a shorter range. If nothing registers on the lower range, then it should register on the higher range.

Okay--I'm a bit tired (head cold :evil: ). I reread what you wrote--it looks like the tap is 7.6/7.8--close and therefore registering on both tests. However, that does not explain the 7.6/8.2 reads on the tank. Whenever I do water tests, I make my fiancé look at them too. The tests are subjective in "where does the color fall" sense. If there is someone else around, have him or her look at your results next time you test.

BTW--I know it’s a ways off, but have you thought of what kind of filter you want for your 55 gal? There is a current thread--"55 gal filter options" in Getting Started. I suggest you read that and perhaps print it off--you will be able to use it later. Personally, I like canister filters (a bit pricey). You have plenty of time to look for sales on all the things you will need for your 55 gal.
Although the 10 gal is most important right now, having foresight will come in handy. (Remember hindsight is always 20/20 :wink:)

Were you able to get a nitrIte (NO2) test kit as well?

For peaceful tropicals that are very colorful you could get some platies. They are available in a few bright colors (yellow, orange, orangish-red, blue) and a few various patterns on the tails, bodies, and dorsal fin configurations. Livebearers also make great first fish because you are guaranteed to see some baby fish! A few of these would be just fine in a 10Gallon tank. German rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi) are definitely a nice community cichlid with great coloration though they are very small. Botia Angelicus would be a great peaceful loach to add (atleast a trio)...the clown loaches (botia macracantha) are colorful and peaceful so they may be a nice addition but in 5 years or so they will be getting too big for the 55gallon tank (keep them in a trio as well). There are also some smaller (under 10") plecos with very interesting patterns available.

Sorry to hear about the loss, Beacious, but, consider yourself lucky, most of us have suffered much heavier losses than that in the beginning, you can credit that to the fact that you're actually doing appropriate research, and asking question on these forums. Not enough people take steps like that, and they pay for it in the end. Very good job on checking everything here, and asking all the questions you can think of.

Yes I did get a NO2 test aswell (NO2:0 ppm). Also thanks AdamsZoological, that really nice.

Poor lovely fishies..sorry they departed..... (now you see why the lfs was in error about importance of water quality, the frequency of changes and testing for said quality!). It is not a surprise though, Goldies really DO require some prep for them to last.
That is why as mentioned earlier in a post..EVERY sitcom with child characters has the ooops! we lost it- and toliet burial of the family goldfish. In truth they are hardy fish with very long lives.....if three main requirements are met from day one. Space-stable water parameters-temp. So any readers considering golds...don't give up!

BTW: Rid Ich is usually a reliable product. It is even highly recommended by several loach keepers at loaches online. And loaches are MUCH more susceptible to meds than regular fish.

Well...now that you are at ground zero....
Since these fish are going to move to big tank later...
And we know your pH isn't neutral or real low; it can even be bumped up by natural method if needed with not too much technical skill.
Cichlids are a great way to go, as it is a large and diverse group.
You could have maybe little cute rams or such or little shell dwellers at the bottom with some interesting bottom feeders like cories
and some appropraite size angel species for the water parameter .. gracefuly moving in the upper levels and a few little schooling fish that are not targets. I don't think tetras would look their colorful best with your water unless you set up a biotope and had peat filters to soften it a bit more for them. and they are busy darting types.

The FW angelfish are what I had most in mind for your wants for the peace and grace and color you were trying for and the little cichlids of the other body type to add spice.
angels have ton of personality on their own. Graceful in motion they are STILL cichlids and quite the scrapper under that beauty (ask any community betta).
Angels and loaches and cories are what I had specifically in mind for you ...loaches are not JUST bottom feeders but amusing and usually community minded fish in their own right. Cories also are active and funny guys in many patterns. and in the big tank other certain species can be added.

I disagree with Christmasfish on the shell dwellers with cories, from what I have read--this is not a good idea!
Also, do not buy cichlids unless you will be moving them soon. IME, most will out grow a ten gal too quickly. Since you don't know when you will be able to afford the 55 gal, stick with the list I send you (it's coming--promise!). Also, double check your pH. I am not certain your pH is far enough away to prevent you from having the peaceful community that you want.

Beacious,

I have the same 10 gallon tank. I have 1 male betta, 6 danios, and an applesnail. I will be transferring the snail and adding 3 pygmy cory cats in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps w/ some ideas for your 10 gallon.

Since menagerie read me wrong I better make it clearer..
In case you do too..
I was thinking loosely what would end up in the 55 as well as start the 10.
Your ten is only going to have about 5-6 fish at the most. (And I figured one of the shell dweller keepers would eventually give you the actual list of compatible bottom cleaners....in a 55).
I believe shell dwelling cichlids would be your only occupant in a ten gal which is not really what you are looking for anyway, but they deserved mentioning
But; I am CERTAIN I saw that two long time shell keepers here have other bottom dwellers in fairly small tanks.(And I was thinking regular cories..not dwarfs. And that for the rams mix. Since they also are armoured catfish yet not eaters of tank mates unlike many plecos) :) .

I think that ANGELS are the main occupant way to go for you and your plans, as I said maybe 4 times on my post. Everything else was just maybes and alternatives to switch the list.
And the 55 is for this summer...wasn't that the deal?
If you are not sure WHEN you can afford it you are limited to fish that can enjoy the 10 gallon for alonger time like platys and mollies and such.
Or the dwarf angels.

I have been doing research on shell dwellers for a Lake Tanganyika biotope, and if the pH is truly 7.6, that's too low for shellies and many African cichlids (although crushed coral could be used to up the pH). In my search, I came across this:
http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/shellweb/shell_care.htm It states, “Avoid Corydoras and Otocinclus. These fish are usually murdered upon introduction.” The site did not elaborate. I have since looked over many sites on shell dwellers and came to the conclusion that too many bottom dwellers would upset the shell dwellers.

Cories and rams would do great.

Hey Beacious, did you get a water test for hardness—this will also play a role in which fish you can keep?

Back
Top Bottom