Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've already moved the biocube stock over and a few corals. So far I have
2 clowns
firefish
citron goby
mandarin
scooter
YWG

Water parameters have bees stable and good so will most likely add the fish from the 20g this weekend. :)

Cool!

As always, be sure to post pictures when you do! :-D

I get my 2 clowns in sunday good to see your tank comming along so well!

Is the firefish still center of attention?

Yep, I had a friend over today and even he caught the firefish as being the tank's center of attention. LOL he just hangs out dead center in the tank still.

I moved a frag rack into this tank and put some of my corals on it, they weren't doing as well as they were in the 125g so I figured try them in this tank. hehe...

Fixing to do a 10g or so water change tonight, salt water has been mixing all day and warming up. I had really hoped to be able to do the water changes from the sump but the sump is so far in the back of the stand and so tall I won't be able to. :-(

As far as the tank goes, parameters are all good still so I think the insta cycle with the live rock was a success. lol I do however have the worst case of diatoms ever it seems. It's a thicker brown mat that I haven't really has before in my other setups. I think I ewill test for silicates later, I didn't use pool filter sand this time but regular aragonite I got from reefrocks.net.

Will post again later, maybe with some pictures if my camera battery is full. :-D

Thanks everyone!

Nice i think my firefish might have ich but idk numbers are all good eats great color is super bright but he loves to get sand bathed by my coral shrimp and i know ich appears as if sand is on the fishes body :????

My firefish does the same thing. Dead center, mostly still. They're attention wh*res! (laugh!).

Diatoms, gotta love 'em. Next comes the cyano, right?

Love that 'scape. Always looks best in the cubes to have plenty of exposed sand - minimalist approach.
I think once you get it loaded up with corals you'll appreciate the blue more. I feel like less blue is better for watching fishies.

- D

LOl, Here's hoping I dont get the cyano in this tank. :)

I moved a bunch of frags over last night and it seems to have revived my gonipora frag. That frag has not been open in weeks I was actually gonna throw it away cause I thought it was dead. lol But it's actually opened a little bit today in the 60g. Very happy, it was a super cool coral. :)
D

Awesome! That must be a great feeling.

Any plans on moving any of your 20g Rimless fish in there today?

I'd really like to get that done today, I still have the water change to do since i didn't get it done last night lol, too lazy.....

I also have a mushroom rock and a smaller toadstool to move in as well. My b/f was gonna take the mushroom rock and bust it up so I can fit it in the tank, it's on a pretty large rock and it's a single mushroom. The toadstool isnt in great shape either, it's like all over the rock it's on, I may have to cut some of it off. :-(

Just your average run of the mill sunday. LOL

Woot! Just got an email from the head of my reef club and she said she can come by any day this week with her par meter!!!! I am dying to know what all my lights put out as far as par. I want to test the 60g cube of course with the led's and the 125g with the 12 bulb ATI bulb fixture and maybe even the smaller tanks if she has time. woohoo! LOL

Such little things that make me happy, it's crazy! LOL

My toadstool has kind of lefty trails of itself on the rock, it must have moved or something, LOL. If you end up cutting it don't forget to wear goggles, it may look silly but you don't want toadstool juice in your eye, that wouldn't be good, LOL.

What is par? Is it how strong your lighting is?

Yep, the light available to the corals. Mr X did the par readings on his leds so i figured I'd get some numbers for other folks too. :)

If it's not too much of a bother I will even do the 10g with the stock light and the 90g with the ATI bulbs. Will be great to see what the differences are between crap bulbs and good bulbs as well. LOL

Took some photo's today so here they are. :) Nothing fancy from my point and shoot camera though. LOL

img_1922434_0_5e81036e31221fb03c4f6ed94a5d52ac.jpg

img_1922434_1_89d1c320d38f695d939ca8a3fe0c8db5.jpg

img_1922434_2_d894dc9d545d447d71481c889664d076.jpg

img_1922434_3_791f21fafb0ed7a5acf9d1a078a30c66.jpg

img_1922434_4_3d89918af2e2d3fc44d6922c5bab66cd.jpg

img_1922434_5_9699fae1818110a762c014837359f003.jpg

All pictures of the corals are super cool!! But im always fascinated with the mushrooms!!!!

Is that a yellow clown goby? With the cute round face? Mine looks nothing like that :( Looks more like a goldfish with a flat face.

Actually Scott that yellow fish is a citron goby, I still havent' moved the yellow and green clown gobies over to the tank yet. lol The citron is really cool though, we call him dopey goby cause he's so big and well dopey. hehe...

I didn't get to use the par meter by the way guys, they couldnt find it that day but she promised to come by soon with it. So I wait.

BUT in the meantime I got some goodies today. And picked up 2 corals, a nice ultra acan and a sunset montipora, a tiny frag.

Here is the new gear I got today!!! I need advice on which side to place it though. I have a frag rack on the right side and the left side has the overflow. SOoooo not sure what to do. LOL Suggestions are very welcome, I'm dawdling putting it in cause not sure which side to put it on.

img_1926120_0_b8b999da9ee58399e311093aa4020899.jpg

Congrats on the new corals!

I am thinking maybe putting it on the side with the frag rack, seems like it may reach more rock area there, then again the frags wouldn't get much flow......

That was my original intention, the right side of the tank that has more open glass space. Maybe I should just move the frag rack to the left side? it will get flow that way and the vortech can reach the whole rockscape. Just nervous playing with such an expensive power head, don't wanna break it. lol I'm spazzy like that so it's always a valid concern with me. hehe Just wanna have the big picture in my head before i start putting on the sticky mounts and everything.

Back
Top Bottom