Cool water marine fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking about doing a cool water marine tank with my 20 gallon. I know catalina gobies thrive in water that is only 72 degrees. Could you guys list some other cool water fish, corals, inverts, or any other sea creatures? Thanks in advance for responces!

Cool water tends to mean deeper water, I have one of the Marine Fish and Reef annuals, somewhere that has an article on deeper water fish. If I have time tomorrow, I compile a list from the article. Not sure on the other stuff, I tend to prefer warmer climate inverts and fish.

Well I guess i will set my 20 up on regular tropical temps. I think Ill go FOWLR. I couldnt find much in my research of cold water species. The only thing I found was Catalina gobies. Although I do like them, Im not the type to dedicate a whole tank to one fish.

Cool/cold water is difficult to do. Though things may have changed, I tried to do a cold water atlantic tank in 1990 or so and it was not easy. You need a high powered chiller, and I dont know what all else to keep critters who like it under 65 degrees or so, I didnt have the money at the time. Chillers cost mucho dinero and the operating expenses are huge too. I made a home made chiller from and old dorm room sized fridge and it did a lousy job, wont try that again.

Its one of those things in the back of my mind all the time though. If I ever find a good deal on a lobster tank ( like in restaurants and seafood shops), I might have to try it again. Frilled anemones are georgeous, and theres othe interesting critters from cold water. Also, its very unique, only place i've ever seen the stuff is at the National Aquarium.

I was looking for stuff that lived at 70 degrees. I keep my house that tempature year round. What I was going to do was just run a tank without a heater. However, since my research could not find any other species other than the catalina goby, I decided against it.

Back
Top Bottom