im new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone,im new to this site and new to the aquarium scene.in the next few weeks i will be buying a aquarium.i wanna do saltwater w reef and fish im gonnna be looking at a 55 to 75 gallon tank.any help or advice on the types of filters and lights and all that would be greatly appreciated,im from philadelphia if any other hobbbyist are from philly let me know. and again any advice would be appreciated thank you i am also on facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much info to put here in one go! Have a read of the articles on here about setting up a saltwater tank, then come back when you have specific questions. Good size tank to start tho, I started with a 55g and instantly wanted a bigger one! Welcome to the hobby :)

I'm brand new to the hobby too and starting a very similar tank. I got some excellent advice in this thread. Hope it answetrs some of your questions! this

I would go straight for the 75 gallon. Especially if you want to do corals and fish. Much easier to maintain too. Bigger is better in this hobby.

Second on going with the 75. I just tore down my 55 cichlid tank to convert to a reef. I know I want bigger but can't afford it. Best advice is get the biggest you can afford!!

Also find a local reef aquarium club in your area. I'm certain there is one in philly or close to philly. You will find a lot of good one-on-one advice from other hobbyist. Hopefully you can see some of their tanks in person and learn a lot, which is very different than seeing pictures online.

You could do the same thing on this forum if you choose ;)

Best advice is to google search the good AND bad reviews of each equipment you buy and each step you take in building your aquarium. I find it very interesting and fun to learn, which helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom